Review by paperfox

"I will save this patient!"

If you've played the DS version of this game, or even the Wii version, you'll know what this game is about. Trauma Center: Second Opinion puts you in the role of a surgeon who... well, operates on people. You might not think there's much depth to this game at first, but once you get into it, it's basically a whole different game.

Trauma Center plays wonderfully, and the controls are very smooth. Obviously, the Wiimote makes this game much different than its DS counterpart in terms of how it plays. You use tools by pointing at the screen and pressing A, or in some cases A and B. You select your tools with the nunchuk, by just moving the analog stick in one of eight directions. You have to get used to switching tools quickly, as in later operations you'll basically be doing two things at once. I haven't played the DS version of Trauma Center, but from what I've seen I think it's easier to switch tools in the Wii version, as you're basically using both hands.

The story in Trauma Center starts out simple, then turns into something you wouldn't expect from this kind of game. You play as Dr. Derek Stiles, who is a surgeon who works at Hope Hospital, and later on, a research center called Caduceus. Derek has a special talent called the Healing Touch, which you can later on use at will to slow down time. Later on, you discover a virus called GUILT, which is supposedly the first step in "medical terrorism". I won't go into any more detail, though, as the story gets quite interesting, and I wouldn't want to spoil anything for you.

The graphics in Trauma Center are basically just updated graphics from the DS version. Nothing in the operations looks too realistic, probably because if everything did look realistic, the game wouldn't be rated T. Now, although the graphics aren't all that great, the art style works wonders for this game. The characters are anime/manga-esque, and the game is sort of in the form of a graphic novel. Basically, when the characters are talking to each other, they have three or four different "poses", which change depending on the mood of the character, and what they're saying. It's nothing too fancy, but it fits the game perfectly.

The music in this game is wonderful, and fits the mood. There aren't too many different tracks, though. The sounds are great, too. There's some voice acting during and before operations, but only things like "Doctor!" and "I will save this patient!"

Trauma Center has a lot of re-playability, and that's good, because the main story will only last you about 8 hours or so, depending on the difficulty (I first beat it on easy). Once you complete an operation, you get a rank depending on how well you did: C, B, A, S, or XS. C is the worst, and XS is the best. So, you can go back to each operation and go for the best rank, or you can try each operation on a different difficulty level (either easy, medium, or hard). There are also extra "X" missions you can try after you complete the main game, which are extremely hard (in fact, the difficulty level you have to play them on is extreme). This game has more re-playability than its DS counterpart, because of the Z missions and X missions.

Overall, Trauma Center is a great game with few flaws. If you're interested in being a medical doctor, looking for a challenge, or just like cutting people open, then you'll like this game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/08/07