Review by Flame060

"A game you'll love to never see the ending of."

Trauma Center: Under the Knife is knows as the hardest DS game made. Hardest to find, too. Fortunately, it seems Trauma Center: Second Opinion only follows the former of it's predecessor. Of course, with Added difficulty settings, you can easily complete the game. Most of it, at least. Under the Knife is the hardest game I've ever known, and I for one, still haven't beaten it. Same goes for Second Opinion. But as with Under the Knife, I'll review this game even without witnessing the true ending to it.

The game retains a bit of nostalgia for Under the Knife, if you've ever played it. Many things stay the same, including Dr. Stiles' main storyline. Of course, the game isn't called "Second Opinion" for nothing. A second story is thrown into the twist, allowing you to play as another Doctor. Giving these extra missions to complete the game is longer and harder. As well as trying to beat everything on a harder difficulty. I'm still having troubles on Easy mode. For those who have never gotten the chance to play Trauma Center: UtK, the story of it was basically a newbie doctor trying to make it big. When suddenly a terrorist group releases a secret virus for reasons of their own. Derek has to deal with this of course, because he realises he has the Healing Touch, a powerful technique that allows him to move twice as fast. With this power he helps patients and tries to take down GUILT, the virus that never wants to stop.

The games graphics are updated from Under the Knife's graphics. The characters have all been redrawn, with less of a BESM style of anime to them, and more of a realistic tone. I still miss Derek's signature "Lets begin the Operation!" pose, but when things sound more serious, you can get into the game more and more. The bodies you operate on have been significantly improved visually. Full 3D bodies with mostly 3D internals. Some dullness to a few of the things you can operate on, but still appealing to the eye in its entirety. The game also has a full remix of Under the Knifes soundtrack. Some people like it, others don't. I personally have a mixed opinion on that matter. It really comes down to what tune you're listening to. The voice actors in the game stay the same, with added voices for Characters who hadn't had any before.

The gamestyle is changed up from Under the Knife's style, for obvious reasons. You control what tool you wish to use with the Nunchuck, and use it with the Wii Remote. This allows for quick actions and precise control, much like dual-stylii in the DS game. The basics of the games tools have remained. But new and interesting ones have been added. Defibulating someone instead of pumping their heart back to life is now thrown in, using the controls in a fun way. If you're used to Under the Knife, it'll take some time to get used to the new controls, but you may end up sucking at the DS version after a while of Wii play. The Wii remote will use it's pointer direction as your main tool, along with the A button. But the remote will register twists and turns, as well as how far away from the TV you are.

Overall, a great game. Much like the DS game, and in ways it's own game as well. I originally had low expectations of the game, after loving it on the DS so much. And at first, I wasn't surprised. But I gave it time, and learned the controls, and I'm wowed. But, this may not be a downside to most people, but I just didn't like the idea of difficulty levels. At least not ones that you could change at any time, anywhere in the story. I guess I just like to complain about stuff. But at least now the game is beatable...almost. I'd still wanna see a real doctor play this game. But if you like Trauma, medical situations, ER, House, Grey's Anatomy or anything of the sort you'll love this game. I just hope they won't end up being hard to find, like UtK.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/12/07