Review by MoldOnHold

"A truly awesome and incredibly fun experience. Just what the doctor ordered!"

I've owned a Wii since day one. After beating both Zelda and Red Steel, I felt that I needed something more to occupy my Wii. And that led me to Trauma Center: Second Opinion. I heard some positive things about it, and since I never played the DS version I decided to check it out. I walked in expected a quirky little diversion, but walked out feeling that I've played one of the best games I've played in years. Seriously. Major fun.

Gameplay (10) - Where Trauma Center positively SHINES. Basically, you play the role of a young surgeon performing numerous life-saving operations to make your patients lives worth living. The story is played out through a medical drama, which really provides an atmosphere as well as pressure. Right away, the innovative and original ideas are thrown at you, and that's great. The actual operations are incredibly fun. Plus, the tools at your disposal are varied and while offering great use of the Wii Remote, has surprising depth. From the moment I cautiously removed a piece of glass lodged within a patient's arm I realized how excited a game on surgery can be. IF ONLY REAL SURGERY WAS THIS FUN! Pretty soon, I was making stiches left and right and making incisions with class. You will too. Just don't take up med school after this.

Graphics (7) - Unfortunately, the game's only stumble (but a minor one at that). Granted, the manga-like art style used for the cutscenes look fantastic. The sharp visual style is very stylish. Unfortunately, the in-game graphics don't look as good (or flashy). Realistically speaking, this game can be done on the PS1. That's not to say the graphics are a total miss; they're still cartoony but it would've been nice to have more detail and textures. But then again, maybe too much would make it grotesque. Hmm...

Sound (8) - Great work here. The music is really well done since it fits the atmosphere perfectly. It can make you very tense, very relaxed, or make you emotional. That's a great thing to have and really adds to the drama. The voice acting is also good. Too bad there isn't full voiceover during cutscenes. It results in making the cutscenes feel dated. But hey, when the voiceovers are present, it's good, so no complaints there.

Value (8) - Sure Trauma Center may not be the longest game out there, but it sure is very fun while it lasts. And that's all that matters right? If you blaze through the operations, you can finish the game in about 10 hours. However, if you're a perfectionist like me, you'll be replaying them to get higher ranks and to reminisce. Difficulty levels are here, and it's a nice touch to amp up replay value.

Rent or Buy? - Buy. This. Game. Now. You won't be disappointed.

THANKS FOR READING MY REVIEW.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/25/07