Review by ChronoCactaur

"No More, please"

Suda 51 is known for making games that are interesting on paper, but when executed leave much to be desired.

On the exterior, No More Heroes seems like it'd be one hell of a gameplay experience, and with the character being an "otaku", that makes the game relatable to the target audience! Nothing can possibly go wrong from such a mutual bond, right? Eh... maybe not. I really wanted to like this game, but every time I tried to play it I would quit after only 20 minutes. The concept is very interesting, to be sure, but the gameplay is very generic and of course utilizes T3H WAGGLE, admittingly better than most games that try and just fail completely.

In the end, one plays a game to be entertained and to have fun right? If there's fun top be had in this game, please show it to me; Unfortunately from what I have experienced, it's slow and uninteresting missions sprinkled with small instances of action beat 'em up. Whenever you get the opportunity to take part in the beat 'em ups, they are fun while they last, but they end far too quickly before you're thrust into boring GTA-ripoff sandbox. Oh but what's this? I get a big ass motorbike? Still doesn't save this game from mediocrity unfortunately!

Now I would normally give a game like this a 4 or 5 out of 10, but this game is honestly praised too highly, so I think I'll cut my score in half to balance things out. Note that the entire experience isn't a bad one, it's just that to get to the good parts, you have to wade through a'lot of crap, and it really bogs down the experience. I'm not doing this to troll, and I don't profit from this, this is just my honest to god opinion and insight. If you don't like it, well then congrats, you like a game everyone else does. Whoop dee doo.

Now they did release a version for PS3, and a sequel on Wii. Both of them make this game obsolete, as the Wii sequel allows usage of the classic controller, and the PS3 version allows the use of a dualshock 3. If you have to play this game because of peer pressure or whatever the vase may be, save your money and sanity and just buy either over this. dot dot dot

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 10/03/11

Game Release: No More Heroes (US, 01/22/08)