Review by gohangeorge

"Flashy... that's about it."

Pokemon Battle Revolution is the first game in North America for the Wii that has online capabilities. It's also got flashy graphics... that's about it, though.

The graphics, as one would expect, are superb. The move animations have been completely redone, making them very flashy. However, some of the more rudimentary techniques look mundane, and though this is to be expected, they could be glammed up a bit to just a little less flashy than uber moves like Roar of Time and Spatial Rend. However, I have two complaints with the graphics; physical moves often don't look like they're physically hitting the foe, and all pre-DP Pokemon models are reused from older games (i.e. I immediately noticed how my Groudon looked the same as he did way back in Pokemon Colosseum, with the same animations and everything!).

The sound is about at the same level as DP. Moves make noise when you hit the other guy, but the BGM seems to be a bit mute at times. It also seems underpowered when squaring off against Colosseum Leaders (IMO it should be a bit more upbeat when facing them). There's also this ridiculously annoying announcer (with the SAME VOICE FROM THE POKEMON ANIME) who comments on every little thing. His comments quickly become tired, but he can be turned off.

There is also a lack of just about anything beyond battle. Unlike in the Stadium games, there are no minigames (which, I might add, are the Wii's speciality at the moment). Unlike in the Colosseum games, there is no Story mode. There is just you, a set of Pokemon, and battling. True, it's nice to be able to create your own look for your trainer and choose their statements during battle, but it doesn't quite make up for the lack of variety in the game.

The ability to import your DP Pokemon was very nice. It made me feel like my hours and hours spent raising my Lv100 Gallade seem worth it as I watch him kick serious butt, but the fact that I can't train my other Pokemon to match his awesome strength sucks. Essentially, Pokemon on Battle Revolution are static; they don't gain EXP, thus cannot evolve or learn new attacks. The ability to become stronger is the reason for battling, which is taken out of Battle Revolution.

It's not a bad game... it just gets boring fast due to its lack of variety. Rent it, if you will, but 'tis not worth the $50 price tag.

-GG

P.S. 3-D Lucario still rocks!

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 07/12/07

Would you recommend this Review? Yes No
Add Comment No Comment
Comments are sent anonymously - 140 character max.