Review by EgoCel

"Midway Wins, Wii-tality!"

Mortal Kombat has always been a key fighting name in the console gaming industry for quite a long time now. Midway's latest installment to the series (Mortal Kombat: Armageddon) still continues the brutality and maliciousness in it's combatants and the fighting they've used for a long time now. Winning awards for the best fighting game on two platforms, the latest version hit the Nintendo Wii with all the blood and gore intact. With added features to take advantage of the Wii-mote's motion sensor movement.

Graphics: 7.5
Coming from the back end of the previous generation of systems, the graphics quality is still nothing to go krazy about (see what I did there?), yet it remains very pleasing to look at still. Using less polygons and just relying on textures to "fake" more realism is a cheap move, but effective none-the-less. The animation and effects still feel like they were pried from Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, which isn't a bad thing to say, but it leaves room for improvement.

Gameplay: 8.0
Being a Mortal Kombat fan since the first one, I get all giggly to play some characters I never thought I'd see again, while seeing new ones playable for the first time. There is dozens of playable characters out of the box, no unlocking required. So you'd be able to bust out another controller with your friend and play your favorite characters right then and now. Though for some of you who have the game from a previous generation of consoles would see the gameplay somewhat dwindled from the port due to prior experience, it still no doubt keeps it's brutal playability well intact.

Sound: 6.5
One thing that has always struck me off the side of my head since Deadly Alliance is the sound. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the sound is crisp and gory for those ripping flesh apart. It's the voicing of the combatants. The screaming gurgling, grunting, growling and whatever voiced sound effect that emits from some orifice of their body sounds, well, not very mortal. Not sure why it just doesn't sound natural to ripping of body limbs apart, aside from Scorpion's "Get over here!" quote we all know and love.

Control: 7.5
Now this is what confused me on other reviews I've read on a more popular sites regarding this version of the game, the controls. Now, I am going to openly admit, Wii-mote + Nunchuk control scheme ain't very ideal for fighting games (I really don't understand why some can require the Retro Controller to play game). That's why Midway pulled a very smart move and added options of using either a Retro Controller or a Gamecube Controller. For some of you who haven't known about this, the Wii-mote controls use motion sensing for their special attacks and fatalities on every character, this led to some frustration for some reviewers out there. The control of special attacks, as stated on the in-game tutorial video, takes a slight motion of the Wii-mote while holding down the B button and then releasing after the motion is done to trigger the attack. This does not mean you need to be tracing your entire television to pull off an attack and get angry when the Wii doesn't know what you're doing. We're playing a fighting game, not using out imagination to paint the wall behind your TV.

Replay Value: 8.0
The game doesn't have much as far as useful secrets you can unlock except alternate costumes (though the Koncept Art is pretty), but the game provides a solid experience to enjoy again and again, and again with friends. Though running through Konquest Mode twice isn't really advised on my own personal experience.

All in all, the game provides a nice, enjoyable experience for it's money. If you don't have the game before, it'd be considered that you get this version if you're interested. If you have the game from previous consoles, you're not really missing much of anything truly new but control schemes.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/20/07