Review by Oldskool_RPGer

"Am I the only one that liked this game???"

First off, I want to bash every other review that has been given to this game. Any fan of the Mortal Kombat series should know by now that it isn't going to be easy to get good at a new innovation to one of their games. Everyone keeps whining about how hard it is to do the special moves. I think they're just mad that they can't do the same exact thing they've been doing for the last ten years to cream all their friends. Many people had the same problems in MK4 when they converted to 3D arenas. But personally I like the Wii innovations they've added. That being said, let's break it down into sections.

The Good: The story is not anything to write home about. It's pretty much the same as any other MK. We're all pissed off so let's kill each other in a tournament. But the cut scenes in konquest where at least interesting enough that I wanted to watch them the first time around. And I did play through arcade with some of the newer characters to find out their back story.

The Bad: You can't really expect too much out of a script for a fighting game. It must be based on the premise that every character is some kind of blood thirsty warrior in one way or another. The Tarkatan farmers in Outworld just wouldn't be as interesting as Barakka.

The Ugly: The main character for this story (Taven) has got to be the lamest MK character ever. He has no depth and basically just runs around beating people up trying to win some prize he knows nothing about. And when he finally wins it's completely disappointing. I would have been more satisfied with the ending if the "prize" turned out to be a bag of cocktail wieners and a sponge.

The Good: Mortal Kombat has never had boring or obnoxious music (except for the movie :P) And although the scores are not epic or anything that you would find yourself humming in the shower, they play along in the background and give the fighting just the right amount of dark overtone that's vital to a MK game.

The Bad: A lot of the music needs to be unlocked in konquest mode, or purchased in the krypt. I found this a bit annoying for 2P right when I turned the game on. But konquest mode is not terribly difficult and can be beat in a day or two.

The Ugly: I think they should have got a few more voice actors for the "Huh!" and "Ha!" FX. They can get a little annoying especially when you're doing the kreate a fighter mode.

Controls: 7/10

The Good: The layout for the Wii remotes was actually done quite well. Your punch and kick moves on the plus pad and special moves put into Wii motion control was a very innovative feature to this port. I found that the way they separated the controls actually made it easier to remember where all my moves where and what button did what. And unlike many other MK titles no one has any ridiculously cheap moves they can use over and over to kill you in 10 seconds.

The Bad: As I said in the opening a lot of people complained about the controls for special moves, and at first this was very frustrating. However I only had to spend about an hour in practice mode to figure out what I was doing wrong.

The Ugly: Some of the characters have very similar styles and controls which makes it easy to play any character once you learn a few of the basics, however this is kind of boring once you play for a while.

Features: 8/10

The Good: Motor Kombat is no Mario Cart, but it's fun as long as you have someone else to race with, and having 60 characters plus the ability to create your own fighter is awesome. As always there are cool new fatality's and plenty of things to unlock if you like MK extras, such as concept sketches and interviews with Midway.

The Bad: I would have given this section at least a 9 if they had left in the chess and puzzle games from the original version. But I guess the Wii doesn't have the same memory capacity as other consoles.

The Ugly: They only thing that really pissed me off in the features was the fact that you can't have 2 created fighters face off against each other in versus. I can't understand why they wouldn't have a way to let you do that.

The Good: The gameplay is fun and entertaining and pretty much what I expected from a MK title with a few pleasant surprises. The massive amount of different characters and special moves keeps things quite interesting. The characters are all fairly well balanced, and CPU's only cheat if you play on harder difficulties lol.

The Bad: If you're a hardcore MK fan you might be disappointed in this one by the lack of super long combos or 30 button combination finishing moves. Overall it's reminiscent of Soul Calibur II which was my favorite fighting game ever. How well you do is based more off of your timing and blocking rather then how long the string of buttons you can remember is.

The Ugly: You should have been able to fight created characters against each other...grrr...

Overall: 7.8/10

The Good: This was a really fun title and an excellent addition to my Wii collection. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys fighting games. It was challenging in single player, but not so much that I wanted to break the game in half. And 2P is lots of fun to anyone who is used to the Wii.

The Bad: If you haven't played enough Wii games to be used to the motion controls don't bother trying to do any special moves. You have to be pretty exact for them to work consistently.

The Ugly: Hardcore MK fans...cry me a river...That was the thing I always hated most about MK games was the ridiculous series of buttons you had to remember to do the best combos or special moves. LK-HP-HP-LP-hatchet uppercut-hatchet uppercut-HK Who the hell has time to memerize all of that?

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/08

Game Release: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (US, 05/29/07)