"A shame to the Splinter Cell name..."

Before I start, let me just say that I'm a huge fan of the Splinter Cell series. The games have never ceased to amaze me, but Splinter Cell: Double Agent for the Wii is different. And not in a good way. With that said, let me start with the review.

GAMEPLAY: 4/10

The gameplay is basically the same as the previous Splinter Cell games. The only difference in this game from the previous, is the new control scheme, but I'll get more into that later. The game is set a few months after Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. You start out in Iceland, which is basically a training mission. In this level, you learn the basics, mainly the new Co-Op feature. This new Co-Op feature is just like the one in Chaos Theory. You go to a point, and initiate the Co-Op move, be it a boost or a hand up to a higher ledge. This adds a nice touch of teamwork to the gameplay.

There is also the Good Choice/Bad Choice system in use. For example, you can either give the NSA or JBA certain information, and depending who you give it to, your Trust Meter shifts. There are also Objectives that use this system. You can either kill everyone in a level, which will make the JBA very happy, or you can keep them alive, making the NSA very happy.

CONTROLS: 5/10

The controls. Now, this is what makes this game different from the previous installments. Some work fine, others...not so much. Let me give you the gist of it, starting with the Nunchuk, which in my opinion is the better half of the controls. The control stick moves Sam, the C button allows you to crouch and stand, while the Z button is used for Nonlethal attacks and the secondary fire of your weapon. There's also another use for the Nunchuk. Twisting it to the side allows Sam to put his back against the wall, and flicking it upward allows you to jump. Simple.

The Wiimote on the other hand, should have been tweaked a lot more. The D-Pad controls your goggles, zoom function, weapon equip, and equipment. Pressing Up on the D-Pad lets you zoom in, Right brings up your Night Vision, press it again for Heat, and once more for EV. Down lets you equip your current weapon, and Left lets you look at your equipment and choose what you wanna use. The Wiimote can also be used as a lock pick, by twisting it right or left.

The worst part of the control scheme is the camera and aiming. Whoever thought controlling the camera by moving the Wiimote would be a good idea should be taken out back and shot. The aiming is pretty decent, but could have been much, much better.

STORY: 8/10

The story is probably the only saving grace of this game. Like I said before, the game takes place a few months after the events of Chaos Theory. You are sent on a mission to recover a weapon from a facility in Iceland. Before you can finish, though, you are pulled out by Lambert and given some bad news. I'm not gonna say what it is, so find out for yourself. After being told, Sam starts off in jail. In here, you try to become friends with a JBA member, Jamie Washington. The story progresses from there, and it has it's interesting points.

GRAPHICS: 4/10

The Splinter Cell series has always been known for it's superior graphics, but this game proves otherwise. The graphics look like a baby threw up all over a Picasso. Not pretty. Sam Fisher is bug eyed, and has horrible facial structure. Also, his mouth doesn't even move! Porting should not be an excuse for horrible graphics Ubisoft. Shame on you. The only good graphics are the cutscenes, which are actually pleasing to the eye.

OVERALL: 4/10

The game is only fun for the first hour or so before you come to the horrible realization of what they did to this series. If you're a fan of the Splinter Cell series, please stay away from this if you don't want the experience ruined for you.

Ubisoft, if you ever decide to make a Splinter Cell game for the Wii, please for the love of Lambert, start from the ground up. Do not give us a port from a last generation console and tack on a new control scheme. Please, if you could just take the time and build a completely new game made just for the Wii and think out the controls and whatnot, you could do so much better.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 03/12/07