Question from Maripatt

The Abyss?

Did anyone else have trouble unlocking one of the sharks and a weird looking fish down in the Abyss? Also, I haven't seen the giant squid since early in the game, where can I find it?

seahorse2 asked for clarification:

There are a few creatures down in the Abyss that are difficult to be friends with. I had trouble with them too. I always got stuck petting and feeding them for what felt like hours. There are three fish: the Fanfin, Pelican Eel, and the Bluntnose Six-Gill Shark. These creatures like the underwater pen. It doesn't matter what kind of ink you use or what you draw, you just have to click OK or the fish won't see it.

The giant squid IS in the Abyss and ONLY in the Abyss. He comes out at night and lounges around Fiend's Cave (a very hard to find, or almost hidden cave.) Keep diving in the Abyss near Fiends Cave. You'll be sure to to find him sometime.

hally105105 asked for clarification:

some of the fish u have to use the underwater pen to have them like u! they love the bright colors!
and the giant squid is towards the top of the abyss hehe!
and ONLY at NIGHT!!

Hrsemn4 answered:

If by "unlocking" you mean getting them to react to you and gain info on them, I imagine you are talking about the Bluntnose Six-Gill shark. That fish, as well as many others in the Abyss like the underwater pen.

As a general rule about becoming familiar with the different animals, I first try petting them, then food, then the underwater pen. Just select it, and draw near them, then hit "ok". If you don't hit "ok", the fish won't "see" what you wrote. It doesn't matter what you draw or write, just so long as it is close to them. You may have to draw near them 3-4 times for them to notice you.

As for the giant squid, he is in the abyss, but he is nocturnal, only coming out at night (why that makes a difference in the pitch black abyss is beyond me...lol) You will most often find him just outside the "Fiend's cave" partway up the western wall, he also sometimes hangs around the Sperm Whale, when he shows up. To be perfectly honest, usually the Giant Squid finds you...
2 0