Review by AirSlash

"A worthy addition to the Guitar Hero franchise."

Ah, where to start. After Guitar Hero 2, and everyone trying to master songs like Six and Jordan they were getting hungry for more. Then Rocks the 80's came out, and well... no one really cared. Holy Diver did not come out of the midnight sea on that game. After everyone played out 2 and RT80's for forever, GHIII came out. What can you say about it?

Lets break it down:

Graphics: 7/10. In all honestly, only your guitarist looks good. The singer/drummer are all chin. The crowd all does the same thing the entire time they are out, so it's like they're all in a trance. Heck, they all look the same too. Does your band have a cult following? I don't know. The fretboard and notes all look better though, so that makes up for the chinny-singer and cult-crowd. Also, the bassist is still the coolest person in the game, and why he isn't playable is beyond me.

Story: 9/10. Probably the most useless part of the Guitar Hero games, but this one actually has a story. It's about the same as the others, you go around the world just rocking out, but there is a twist and you must battle for your soul at the end in what may be one of the hardest final bosses ever depending on the difficultly you played on.

Gameplay: 10/10. Any problems that happened on the 360/PS2 versions of Guitar Hero have been addressed for each platform, including the Wii version. Hammer-ons and Pull-offs feel much more natural than they did on 2, and all notes are easier to read. The additions of battle mode are fun as well, as it's more of a screw-over type of game than a skill game, which gives it a Mario-Kart style of play.

Controller- 10/10. No problems with it that aren't easily fixed by re-connecting the controller. The whammy is sort of like the analog sticks on the GameCube, so you can't touch it when turning on the game. But it has the longest strumming bar, good button placement, and rumble (unlike other versions) so it's easier to know you have star power.

Song Selection- 8/10. The only place where they messed up. Guitar Hero had many underground tracks in it's selection. Guitar Hero 2 had a lot of more mainstream tracks that were still very awesome. Guitar Hero 3 has a lot of the mainstream junk you hear today. Things like the Killers, Slipknot, AFI and others really hurt the selection for me. There are a lot of amazing songs though. I love to play Knights of Cydonia, My Name Is Jonas, My Curse, Can't Be Saved and others each time I pick up the game. As far as classic songs go, you can't go wrong here. Black Magic Woman, Paint it Black, and a rocking cover of Devil Went Down to Georgia all make it worth it. Only Before I Forget, When You Were Young, and Miss Murder hurt the game.

Sound- 9/10. As good as the other games, but I want to hear Guitar Hero in surround sound. That seems like the next direction to go in. It may be on other versions, but the Wii version lacked it. Also, the missed note sound coming out of the Wii remote was an awesome addition, but it will throw you off when you aren't used to it. Otherwise, the sound is great.

Overall- 8.8 (rounded up to) 9/10.

If you are a Guitar Hero freak, you already own this game. If you are just starting out, this is a good way to get into the games. I recommend it to anyone who likes rhythm games, fun gameplay, or just rocking out!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/02/07

Game Release: Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (w/Guitar) (US, 10/28/07)