Review by thebird4

"Another Reason To Hate Party Games"

This is the first Guitar Hero game I've owned. I have played Guitar Hero II at my friend's house, and gotten good enough to best him on Hard; so I think that I'm moderately experienced with the series. Let me just say that as long as you add the systems required, all the Guitar Heroes are essentially the same-- so look through the song lists and buy the one you think has the best, if you really must torture yourself with the series.

Ok, GH3 is a "hardcore" party game consisting of strumming notes that are indicated by the stupidly huge colored buttons on the unique controller. While this concept is very innovative and has a lot of potential, they don't really do a lot for it. If you have very little friends--let me just say now, this game is ABSOLUTELY not for you, because it is essentially useless untl you get around doing mulitplayer.

You've heard of it before. Whilst you play, the colored buttons come streaming at you down a "customized" track and you must hit the notes and strum the bar in order to have the notes count towards your score. If you miss enough, your meter goes from "Green" to "Yellow", which means you're in trouble, and then "Red" and if you get here you're basically screwed; and finally to "Flashing Red" where if you miss even one note you will 99% of the time, fail the song. In addition, if you continue on a streak of notes without missing you will get double the score you would normally get, if you keep going you will get triple, and it maxes out after 4 times the score. As I've said before--if Activison wanted to make a game involving Guitars, why would you make something so simple? I could do this with a Wii Mote on some of the lower difficulty songs.

Your level of enjoyment depends on if you enjoy the song you are playing or not. If you don't, you're going to have to dread moving your hands so fast with no reward, and if you do, you will be sucked into the game, and believe that you are a Guitarist for whatever band you're doing the song for.

There are four modes--Labeled Easy, Medium, Hard, and Expert. The difficulties are incorrect. The true names are--Impossible To Fail, Easy, Frustrating, and Impossible. The lack of a REAL "Medium" option is really what turns off a lot of casual players from the game. As for the gamers, they too will grow to hate the game within time--once they realize that they are essentially doing the same thing over and over again (Which happpens around Expert)

If you are stuck on a song in the 1-Player Career Mode, you will no doubt be stuck on that song for quite a while--not because it is difficult, but because you have no real motivation to do so. After you unlock all the Characters and Guitars (Which can be done via Code, making the morale of 1-Player virtually non-existant) you will probably never enter the Career Mode again.

Speaking of Characters and Guitars, why is that after you unlock them, you have to buy them? Not only does it take effort to unlock a Character, but to find the cash (And the Characters are all $10,000 whilst you usually make around $400 per song, and after you 5 Star a song you can never make money off of it again) is just another unmotivating task.

Really, this should be enough of a reason not to buy the game, but if you really are still interested--then read on.

Career Mode: 4/10

Career Mode is the most frustrating and addictive mode. It sort of has a story--but it's a party game, who really cares if it's good or not? Regardless, you play as a character of your choice, all of which look like complete freaks compared to Guitar Hero II's selection. Really, after you unlock all the characters, I guarrantee you will be using one of them. After you pick your Character and guitar (we'll get to that later) then you start the story, going on the road with your band as the group's reputation raises thanks to your Manager--Lou; but he ends up hurting the band more than he helps them.

The "Tiers" as fans call them, are all out of order--compared to Guitar Hero II's set list, all of which except for one (Woman) were in relatively good places. Tier 1 is harder than Tier 3, Tier 5 is harder than Tier 6, and Tier 7 and 8 should really be mashed together due to all of their songs being nearly impossible on Expert.

On Easy and Medium, you only have to pass 4 songs to go to the next tier, and on Hard and Expert you must pass all 5 of them. Why? Wouldn't it make much more sense to have to pass ALL of the incredibly easy songs while that song that's been pissing you off for weeks can just be left unfinished for a while?

The learning curve in the game is really poorly designed--somewhere inbetween Tiers 6 and 7, there needs to be some kind of stepping stone from Easy to Hard. And by the time you pass Tier 7 on Hard or Expert, your morale will be low enough to not even bother touching the Tier 8 songs because you know that they'll all be even harder than the hell you just had to pass.

There's a sick sense of humiliation to be felt when you fail Before I Forget right after 5 Starring Cherub Rock.

Customization: 5/10

The Characters--as covered before, do not look at all like Rockers. If anything, they all look like people who are posers of better bands--much like most of the hardcore scene in Guitar Hero. Most of them only get one outfit, and they usually look hidious outside of their usual look. The Guitars start to go very well, having some of the most classic guitars in the rock industry, but then it all falls downhill as Activision attempts to add "unique" guitars that look like pieces of wood whilst you play them. And that brings up another thing: The Graphics of your character playing are horrible, if you actually substitute time from button mashing to look at him or her. They are usually doing a signature taunt unbenowst to the rhythm.

And that brings up the people in the band that you cannot customize. While the beggining of One plays, a sad tribute to the horrors of war--you can see the guitarist and the singer moving around as hype as possible; and bobbing their poorly designed heads up and down. Not only is this just embarrassing to look at in general, this is nothing like Metallica would do in a live performance. All the song's performances are basically the same, with no customization to the band you are playing--the same damn thing for both Weezer and Guns N' Roses.

Song List: 8/N/A

The reason I gave this an 8/N/A is because it is really your opinion and musical taste--go look up the song list and see for yourself. I myself would give it a 8/10, one of the finer point in the game. The Career songs are all really pumping and basically make this game. The Bonus songs leave a lot to be desired, but they're not that bad. The only song that I found unbareable to play was "Go That Far" but that was merely because the hideous vocals ruin the melody of the song.

Difficulty: Very Hard to Extremely Hard

If you're a GHII fan looking for a challenge, this is definetly your game. The learning curve as covered before has so many flaws in it that if you've never played a GH game before than you might as well forget buying this game at all. The amount of time between notes in Raining Blood is virtually non-existant and you're going to have some muscle cramps if you actually 5 Star it. So Rock On, if you wanna kill yourself.

Motivation: 0/10

This is optional for those who hate the realism of gaming, so ignore this if you don't think it will change your opinion.

DDR is a party game. In it, it is implied that you "Dance"--but you do not, all you do is step on these stupid arrow patterns and make a fool out of yourself. So if GH is a party game, it is implied that you press the notes and your score goes up. But no. This is exactly the same thing as Real Guitar, just easier for those stupid enough that they can't touch actual strings. If you have a large interest for this game, I highly suggest that you make something of yourself instead and buy an Electric Guitar. It may be a bit more expensive than GH what with the cost of an amp; but GH isn't exactly cheap if you want the Guitar that comes with it.

Overall

I dislike Guitar Hero III. That was evident when you saw the 3/10. If you already own a different GH, I encourage you to instead waste your time on that and save yourself the money. If after reading this you are STILL interested in GH and have not played any of the prequels, I suggest you try it out on a friend's house first--Everyone in the damn world has this game, so It shouldn't be hard to find.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 03/07/08

Game Release: Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (w/Guitar) (US, 10/28/07)