How do you avoid the POW item?

1. It gets me every time! In older games in the Mario franchise you could avoid the effects of the POW block by jumping, but this doesn't seem to work for me unless my timing is just horrible.
    Any help?

User Info: LucesDarkness

LucesDarkness - 7 years ago

1. Taken from my guide:

To prevent a POW Block from affecting you, continuously do what you would to
    preform a trick (on a jump). For example, if I were using the Wii Remote and
    Nunchuk, a trick would be preformed by shaking the Wii Remote. To prevent it
    from making you spin out, you'd have to shake the Remote as the Block shakes
    for the third time. I find it easier to shake the remote for the whole time
    that the POW Block is up on the screen. Unfortunatly, you will still lose your
    items.

Another way to keep it from affecting you at all is to be in the air at the time
    that it goes off. To do so, you would need to go off of a ramp or jump. When
    using this technique, you will not lose any items that you are carrying.

User Info: Stevewins456

Stevewins456 - 7 years ago 2 0

1. On wheel shake it, with wii remote and nunchuck flick the remote up and with gc and classic push up on the dpad

User Info: mianiajoy

mianiajoy - 7 years ago 0 0
  2. Right at the end of 1 flick the wheel up and you will dodge it.

User Info: piedude654

piedude654 - 7 years ago 0 0
  3. If you are using the automatic drifting, the only way to dodge it is to perform a trick right before the last "POW". It's easier if you just keep shaking the Wii remote/press the D-pad during the entire POW block until the "POWs" stops.

If you are using the manual drifting, you have to jump/hop at the right time. Press the brake/drift button right when the last "POW" hits.

Or if you're lucky, jump off a ramp and perform a trick while the POW is in effect. Hopefully you land after the POW block is over.

User Info: dragonpride0

dragonpride0 - 7 years ago 0 0
  4. If close to jump: Go off the jump

If not: As the POW block is about to pound for the third time, pull a wheelie. you will spin out once and maintain about the same speed.

User Info: nj555613

nj555613 - 7 years ago 0 0
  5. Sorry. I also forgot to add on mine that if you are not close to the jump and you pull a wheelie, it works with karts too.

User Info: nj555613

nj555613 - 7 years ago 0 0
  6. Right when the last time the block smashes shake the wii mote and your character will still spin out, but still keep going.

User Info: Dice_14

Dice_14 - 7 years ago 0 0