Review by marthman91

"Leaves previous installments eating its dust....(mostly)"

Introduction:
Mario Kart Wii is the 6th and latest installment of the Mario Kart series, famous for its craziness and multiplayer madness. This game features several new elements but keep true to the Mario Kart legacy many of us grew up enjoying. Among these feautes is the new Wii Wheel, which comes free with the game.

Gameplay:
This where Mario Kart has always shined, and there is no let up in Mario Kart Wii. The motion sensor controls work very well and you will be able to pick it up and be drifting and making wheelies in no time at all, newbie or not. The main single player modes, grand prix and time trial are fun enough, with 8 cups to play, but what will keep you coming back is the multiplayer, which includes race and battle mode. The lack of options in multiplayer is a bit disappointing, but enough for fun with friends. The battle mode is great but only two modes are available and you can only do teams, no more free for all madness.

Graphics:
Now this is my one major gripe with the game. The character models are bad, very bad. Now I wasn't expecting anything special, but these are gamecube graphics on a good day. The character selection screen is sometimes painful to look at because some of the characters are so blocky. The courses are not too bad, but again nothing special. To me this is ot really acceptable, this next gen, the characters should look good, I know the Wii is not all that powerful but this is bad. However if this graphical cut allowed for the smooth online experience (covered later) then it is a good trade off.

Sound:
As always Nintendo delivers in the music department. Some tunes you will start humming without even noticing, that is the sign of a memorable tune. Some are forgettable but most are very entertaining that Mario way. NOt problems here.

Re-playability:
You just can't beat it here, this game is the most re-playable on the Wii (witht he exception of Smash Bros.). And finally Nintendo did the Wi-Fi right, still no voice chat, but it's lag free and fun as anything. What more could you want? You can also do 2 players on the same console online, which is a big plus.

All in all this is best Mario Kart experience so far, so pick this up and relive your childhood, or keep it going at least.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/14/08

Game Release: Mario Kart Wii (EU, 04/11/08)