Review by quadruplesword

"Mario Kart racing at its height"

I have always been a fan of the Mario Kart series. My very first Mario Kart game was Mario Kart 64 and after playing it for the first time, I was hooked from the start. Now, a few years later, Nintendo brings to us Mario Kart Wii, the best one out of the series. Now that I got the preamble out of the way, let's move on to the real review!

Not the best the Wii has to offer, but still very good. They aren't the best graphics, but they're pretty dang close! All the characters, vehicles, and track features are done very well and are very colorful. Besides, who buys a game just for the good graphics these days? Thank goodness Nintendo still believes that gameplay makes the game, not graphics.

The hectic racing of previous Mario Kart games is still here, with quite a few changes to give us a fresh new feel for the game. Motor bikes have been added to the mix now, which means you have more vehicle choices, which is great. This is probably one of the best Wii games out there, next to SSBB of course! Along with 16 new tracks comes 16 retro tracks from all the previous Mario Kart games, for a grand total of 32 tracks, the most of any Mario Kart game. Sadly, though, mission mode from Mario Kart DS was removed, which seems silly.

Controls: 10/10
This is also done quite well. Like SSBB, you can use any one of four different controllers, the wii wheel (which is included), wii remote + nunchuk, classic controller, and gamecube controller can all be used to play this wonderful masterpiece! Personally, though, I like the wii wheel the best because it feels very authentic and the controls almost always do what you want them to do. There are plenty of control schemes to suit everyone's preferences if you aren't comfortable with the motion sensing controls of the wii wheel.

Online: 10/10
Nintendo kind of bombed SSBB online, but managed to redeem themselves here. No matter what happens during an online race (or battle) the framerate never drops once. Plus, up to 12 players can join in one race online, unlike the DS, which was limited to 4 players per race. Also, unlike the DS, you can choose any course from the 32 in your selection. Each player will vote on a course to race on, and after everybody votes, one stage is chosen at random. This makes track selecting less of a hassle, which is good.

Awesome game, awesome replay value. Expect to be playing this for years to come... at least until the next Mario Kart game!

This is Quadruplesword, signing out. Bye, and thanks for reading my review!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/29/08

Game Release: Mario Kart Wii (US, 04/27/08)