Review by ss4goku395

"Mario Kart is great, but not without its flaws."

~Mario Kart WII~

This highly anticipated game came out in the US on April 27, 2008. As soon as I had my hands on the white plastic wheel I knew this was going to be a great game. This game is amazing and a perfect party game to play with some friends, but like all games, it's not without its flaws.

_-=Gameplay=-_ 9/10
As most of you know, this game can be played 4 types of ways. The Wii Wheel probably the most interactive and fun way to play, the Wii controller one of the dullest ways to play, the Wii Controller AND Nunchuk which is probably the second choice to most players. And finally, the Gamecube controller which is similiar to Double Kart where you play with two people. Also, all the whiners out there YES you can play with a original controller but who would? There is far more characters from Mario Kart DS, even some of the odd ones such as Baby Daisy. Players will also enjoy the new feature that you can choose between a Go-Kart or a...drumroll...MOTORCYCLE. Yes thats right, all you motorcycle and Mario Kart fans you can now combine your two loves and play them together. Now, onto the actual game. Playing with the Wii Wheel I found the most fun way to play because you actually are in the game controlling your character. I downgraded the score down 1 point because sometimes when you turn the wheel you do a 180' degree turn and end up going backwards. So you can say goodbye to first and welcome 12th which nobody likes to do.

_-=Multiplayer=-_ 10/10
In multiplayer you can play one person online, or even TWO people online at the same time. Unlike other games *cough* Call Of Duty 4 *cough*. Other multiplayer ways are 2 player, 3 player, and 4 player. So, if your having a party 4 people can swap off every 4 games. Something that I really liked about playing online is that I experienced NO LAG at all during online play which some games tend to lag. Not to name any but it rhymes with Duper Plash Bros Prawl. You do the math.

_-=Graphics & Sound=-_ 8/10
You can't really expect the Wii to keep up with rendering graphics like the PS3 or the Xbox360 so I will not compare it to those other systems. For the Wii I found the graphics very good except for some parts where the buildings just looked like plain blocks. For the Wii I was very impressed with it for rendering those graphics. The music I found very enjoyable throughout the game. The only thing I didn't like about it was that if I was on a particulary long course such as Rainbow Road or something, it loops the same music throughout the whole track. After the end of Rainbow Road I never wanted to hear the song again.

_-=Replayabaility=-_ 8/10
You can replay the Grand Prix countless of times even if you are not getting anything in reward after the first time you complete it all on all the difficulties. Playing through all the courses gets very boring after you have completed it all, and you'll start to feel very sleepy after the first match. However, there is a solution to that problem. The online play of course. Here you can play against real people so it puts a sense of realism in the game that is very enjoyable. The great thing about this is as you win more your rating goes up which shows that you are accomplishing things as you go along, and keep playing.

So here is the verdict. Buy it or rent it? If you are holding a party for about 3-6 people this is a great party game that you can get to play. However, if after the party you will never play it again then obviously RENT IT. If your a hard core Mario Kart fan and you can see yourself on the couch turning that wheel screaming, "GO GO GO" then run down to the store right now and buy it. Good luck though, it took me 2 weeks to finally get it due to the availability of it.

-BONUS REVIEW-
_-=Fairness=-_
I just had to add this in because this has frustrated me to no end. The thing is that Nintendo has completely removed the item stat. So, I remember one time I was in 2nd and can you guess what the person in first gets? A BULLET. I realize this is rare but this was not fair at all. Also, I do not appreciate how your in first and can get nothing while people in 5th-12th are given speeds, bullets, red shells, and blue shells that are just destined to destroy you. Also, once your hit once with a red shell you are pretty much in 4th. Get hit twice and your in 7th. Sorry, if I seem angry I just think that the item stat should have stayed to ensure more fairness in the game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/30/08

Game Release: Mario Kart Wii (US, 04/27/08)