Review by Carpetking2

"Pack your "Shell-proof" umbrellas!"

I love Mario Kart. It's an extremely fun, off the wall, and bright and colorful racing game. The previous installments were awesome too, but this one loses points for it's terribly unbalanced power-up system. Moving on... What's new this time around is the addition of bikes. The bikes add a whole new racing experience with wheelies, sharp turns, and overall lighter design. Personaly, I like the karts better because of that false sense of security. Anyway, you can choose what controller you want to play with, wether it be the new wii wheel, or the classic Gamecube controller, The controls are spot on. With a new online play, it will make you want to keep comin' back for more.

GRAPHICS: 4/5
Really, the graphics arn't too bad. The tracks are nicely designed, and the karts + bikes don't look too bad themselves, but the character models can look a tad blocky at times, but in the heat of the race your usually not paying attention to them.

CONTROL: 4/5
Like I said the controls don't feel slippery, but then again it depends on which kart/bike your racing in. It takes some getting used to, but with practice you can pretty much tear through rainbow road with anything.

UNLOCKABLES: 5/5
Theres TONS of stuff to unlock, from new characters, new tracks, new time attack ghosts, theres enough here to keep you busy for a long time.

GAMEPLAY: 2/5
This is where it gets bad. Sure power ups are essential to a good mario kart race, but depending on where you are place-wise (1st, 2nd, etc.) , you can either get some big whopping bullet bills, or blue shells, OR you can get some garbage fake ? blocks, or banana peels. Yes in large quantities banana peels should be feared, but your not going to be able to use any if your in first. If your in first, you might as well stop your vehicle, let some other poor sap pull in front of you and then keep going. Otherwise prepare to be bombarded with blue shells, lightning, green shells, red shells, bob-ombs, POW blocks, and whatever else comes out of those boxes... Overall it's unfair and frustrating.

ONLINE: 5/5
A major redeeming feature is that you can race online with up to 12 people. I dont like it because maybe it's just me ,but I can never win a race against the veterans. That and everybody selects coconut mall and rainbow road all the time. Overall it's a nicely put together feature.

OVERALL:
Well besides the terrible item balancing , Mario Kart Wii is a cool racing title for the wii, and if you can get your hands on it, I'd give it a try. Although be warned... If you play this long enough you will grow to fear the blue shells....

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/02/08

Game Release: Mario Kart Wii (US, 04/27/08)