Review by HyperBolt

"Mario Kart Wii? More like Mario Kart Collection"

Mario Kart is a Super Mario spinoff made by Nintendo, it got its big break back in the days of the Super NES for showcasing the mode 7 capabilities of the console, mode 7 was a technique that allowed the system to rotate images and giving them a 3D look.

Over time Nintendo brought Mario Kart to different platforms, such as the N64 and the Gamecube, the N64 was the first 3D Mario Kart game, and the Gamecube was the first game with online play, both were innovative for the time and offered good gameplay.

The game basically is a racing game with lots of zany power ups to use to get passed your opponents, I'll go into more detail on that later.

The reason why I call this 'mario kart collection'; is because instead of making new courses which a new game in a series usually does, Nintendo rehashed courses from previous games, they even added some DS tracks to the game, while it's nice to see the Ghost track in 3D, it still feels like you've played it before without adding anything new to it besides the new graphics.

The game has power ups that determine the outcome of the race, but it's more like an achilles heel kinda thing if you ask me, for example you can be in the lead of a race, and all of a sudden your remote makes an annoying noise that your being targeted by a red koopa shell and then you loose your place, or the famous POW icon that makes yourself small, theres also annoying 'dummy blocks'; and banana peels that get in your way too, this routine gets old fast, even on the single player it gets annoying, let alone 2 player, or online.

I havn't played online much, but from what I understand you connect via Nintendo WFC and race players from all over the world, this would be nice and looks good on paper if not for the fact the other players are cheaters, so it's best to play local 2 player or by yourself, now if people wouldn't cheat then the online would be fine, but since it's not, you get the idea.

Mario Kart is indeed a classic Nintendo game series, but this game does not offer anything new except rehashed levels from previous installments in the series, to tell you the truth I'd rather play the Super NES version of this game than this one.

I'm not saying the game isn't fun, theres lots of fun to be had, but it does get old after awhile, unless the price is right I'd think twice about getting this game, unless your some sort of die hard fan of the franchise.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 04/13/09

Game Release: Mario Kart Wii (US, 04/27/08)