Review by DarkMark42

"The series seems to get better with each passing game"

Mario Kart Wii was released on the Nintendo Wii in late April of 2008. It is the latest installment in the famed Mario Kart series, and probably the best one so far. While it is fun and replayable, it does have some flaws, but none big enough to shatter the game. The first Mario Kart was released on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in the early 1990's, and the series has surely come a long way. It's been to the arcades, on almost every subsequent Nintendo console, has made appearances on Nintendo's handheld systems(good appearances, I might add), and now makes its debut on the Nintendo Wii.

The game takes advantage of the Wii's motion sensor controls. You now have a wii wheel that you can use as an alternative to the Wii Remote(or even the GCN controller), although while its fun at first, I prefer the Wii Remote and nunchuk. The races now can hold 12 drivers, 4 more than the old 8. And there's plenty of characters to choose from. However, here's where a flaw comes in. Quality is better than quanity. Some of the racers seem out there, and never should've been in the game. Take Funky Kong for example. So he appears in one or two of Nintendo's Donkey Kong games. But putting him in Mario Kart? Why? The alternative form of Bowser was even worse and never worth unlocking. And while baby mario and luigi are good, baby peach and daisy from the Mario RPG's is just unnessecary. I would've liked to see Shy Guy in there. Not all new characters were bad. I really was a fan of Dry Bones. You can even use your personal Mii after you've unlocked it.

The basic structure of the Mario Kart series is present. You have your 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc engines, while also is the computer's difficulty. Mirror mode is also unlockable. You go through a number of 4 race grand prix's. There's the good ole' mushroom, flower, star and special cup to play. And guess what? The game features old tracks! The new shell, leaf, banana and lightning cups which you unlock feature 16 tracks from all of Mario Kart's old games. So there's 32 great races to play altogether.

Multiplayer mode is good as usual, but now, the battle games that you can play with a partner you now have access to single player. Unlocking ghosts will once again be a challenge in time trial. The game is just loaded with replay value.

As for the visuals, they are one of the Wii's finest. I loved how Nintendo re-created the scene from classic games in the 4 retro cups, the music was fantastic as well. And now we get to another flaw. 50cc, 100cc, 150cc, you name it. You're in first place by a mile. BOOM! A blue shell! A red shell. Pow block! The computer gets really annoying at times with the overusing of items. Other than that, the game is an absolute blast to play.

Overall, you won't wanna miss out on this game. It is the best Mario Kart yet. Final Score- 9.3

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/03/09

Game Release: Mario Kart Wii (US, 04/27/08)