"Get Ready To Be Battered!"

Oh boy! This game is the worst out of all of the Mario Kart games that I have played. The items are annoying. Some Wi-Fi players can be real jerks abusing the flaws in this game, bikes don't belong in this game, and Wi-Fi could have been done way better. Let's start with the items.

We got the standard items which I have no problem with like the Red and Green Shells, Bananas, and Fake Item Boxes. Then we have the annoying items: Spiny Shell, Bullet Bill, and Lightning Cloud. The Spiny Shell (AKA "Blue Shell") is the most annoying item in the game. If you are in first place and a blue shell is coming your way. You are screwed. Unlike the blue shells before it got wings, this one only seeks out the first place racer. It doesn't hit other racers giving it some kind of real use to get the last place player a chance for higher ranks. There is a blast radius where you can get other opponents hit too but good luck with that! When they see that blue shell aimed at you, they are staying back! What a cheap item. I can easily pull first place but what makes it so difficult to maintain is the blue shell. Next is the Bullet Bill. Yes it can give you a speed boost, attack other racers, and be your auto-driver but once it wears off, nine times out of ten it sends me into a wall possibly leaving me open to attacks or losing a few ranks. Next is the Lightning Cloud. Why does an item that will hurt you exist? The only benefit it serves is a temporary speed boost over parts of the track that will normally make you slow down but once it decides to attack you, you are screwed so you better pass it to someone else! To make this all worse, unlike the other Mario Kart games, there is no brief invincibility time once you do get hit with any item which can leave you to be repeatedly attacked sending you back to last place after all that hard work getting you to a high rank. When you are in last place, good luck with the Star or Mega Mushroom. It doesn't last very long. It should allow for more time to give you the time to catch-up with the rest of the pack. Also steering is even harder with the Star. I would like steering to be a little tighter while I'm invincible thank you very much.

Why are there bikes in this game? I thought this game was called Mario Kart Wii not Mario Bike Wii. Bikes are used all the time on Wi-Fi. They offer wheelies which give tiny speed boosts and they can hug turns better than karts when drifting. This gives karts a bad disadvantage leaving the game further unbalanced. Plus I don't like the feel of driving a bike compared to a kart.

There is one major screw-up on Wi-Fi. Once you select your vehicle, you can only race with that until you leave the game room. What were they thinking?! Good thing Super Smash Bros. Brawl doesn't do this.

Overall, why am I still playing this game? I guess my review contradicts the amount of time I spent playing this very flawed game but then again, I spent a whole lot more time playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl than I did Mario Kart Wii because that game was designed way better than Mario Kart Wii despite what people say saying that game is unbalanced. Those people wanted Super Smash Bros. Melee but with additions for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Selfish gamers but that's a review for another time.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 07/08/11

Game Release: Mario Kart Wii (US, 04/27/08)