Review by ultcomics

"Zapper review + Link's Crossbow Training review. Great arcade experience, good lightgun substitute."

Wii Zapper: 9/10: Wow! I was so wrong about this. I was very hesitant of wanting this because the way they have the trigger on the forward(front) handle. I always thought that it would be most comfortable/natural to hold a two handled gun with my left (weak) hand on the front handle and my right (dominant) hand on the back handle where a trigger would be. It really does not feel odd at all holding it the opposite way, with my right hand on the front and my left hand on the back. I basically NEED my right hand to be the shooting hand and I NEED my left hand to be my analog stick hand. Don't think of using the Zapper as a real gun, think of it as a video game accessory because that's what it really is. The B button/trigger is really not bad at all. Some have said it is too mushy/squishy but I found no problem with it. The design is very futuristic and neat looking. The construction has a great quality too it. A couple times I thought I had broken something but nothing budged on this, it is very sturdy. There is texture around both handles and it feels very nice. You wrap your cord around the middle of the Zapper and underneath to the cord storage compartment. It would have been nice if they had something to hide the cord but I suppose it being on the side gives off a futuristic vibe. Anyway it feels great and it's just fun to hold. With a game included (a good one too!) this is an awesome value at $20.
As far as how it actually performs, I was a little surprised at how much it simulates a lightgun even though you aren't really using it as a lightgun like in the arcades. You still get that lightgun-arcadey action fun though so it really feels like it has the spirit of those types of games and isn't so much a mouse track and click feel.

Link's Crossbow Training: 9/10: it is basically a set of game levels taken straight from Twilight Princess. Later levels have some nice boss battles. Very fun, nice challenge.

Graphics: 7.5/10: Don't seem as sharp or colorful as Twilight Princess actually is. Graphics are a bit dull and bland in most areas. They don't look bad though and some (like the balloon pop) levels look very good color-wise. I am using a 50" Plasma HDTV with component cables and 480p and there are certainly no problems with the graphics.

Story: 10/10: Why? Because some games just don't need stories. Sometimes you just want to get in and play since in the real world you KNOW it's a video game and you're just having fun. You don't want to be hit over the head ever 10 seconds with a cutscene with some games. Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Galaga.. this is how it should always be imo.

Sound: 7.5/10: Nothing spectacular. Basically straight out of Twilight Princess. It was night hearing the western theme again when actually using a gun. Sound effects aren't anything special.

Controls: 8/10: Surprisingly like a lightgun game in the arcades. I don't know how Nintendo has done it but it has "simulated" the feel of a lightgun game even though you use a cursor/crosshair/reticle that lines up nowhere even CLOSE to where you're pointing it on the screen, but that's okay. You're really just sitting down comfortably and playing a game. Still is very fun. I found myself much more comfortable with my right hand forward and left hand back. The need for my left hand to man the analog stick/Z button outweighed the need to hold it forward. In fact I am more shakey with the left hand in the forward (front) handle. Moving the cursor off screen to look is slow and not very efficient.

Gameplay: 9/10: Very fun arcade action. Different types of games include shooting bullseyes, shooting enemies (both games while stationary) and also a sort of adventure mode where you move Link with the analog stick (again, I needed my left hand for this since that's what it's used to doing) and search out things/enemies to shoot. I really like all these modes; the quest for huge multipliers is fun.

Replayability: 10/10: For such a simple arcade like shooter there really is a lot to do. 10 levels with 3 sub-levels each and each having different medals makes this a big game for such a small price.

Value: 10/10: for $20 this is a great deal. For $25 it'd be a 9/10 and still a good deal. I am going to buy a second Zapper someday too. If Nintendo were to release games like this for $10-20 every week I would scoop them up.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/27/07

Game Release: Link's Crossbow Training (w/Zapper) (US, 11/19/07)