Review by ian2093

"The Hand Cramps Were Worth It"

Summary
Ah, The Legend of Zelda. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossbow Training aired for the Nintendo Wii on November 11th, 2007, sporting the Wii Zapper! The Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossbow Training is derived from the game The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which came out one year before Link's Crossbow Training. Since The Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossbow Training is derived from Twilight Princess, it has many of the same, familiar places as Twilight Princess. And trust me, if you have played and beaten Twilight Princess, you will get a warm, nostalgic feeling… Ah…

Here's a bit about the Wii Zapper: The Wii Zapper is a Nintendo Wii accessory for the Wii Remote and Nunchuck, made for first-person shooters (But of course you use arrows in Link's Crossbow training). The Wii Zapper adds balance (And hand cramps) to your shots. Overall, I think it was a clever little add-on by Nintendo.

Introduction
What is this? Not just a bow and arrows, but a crossbow! That's right, in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossbow Training our buddy in the green tunic has a crossbow! With the Wii Zapper, you can take aim and fire at enemies, targets, and much more.

There really isn't a plot line in Link's Crossbow Training, as there is in the previous Zelda games, but really it doesn't need it. The main purpose of this game is to get gamers introduced to the Wii Zapper through The Legend of Zelda. This is merely a bunch of mini-games, but I found it very creative as amusing, and you really wanted to keep on playing through the levels.

What Do You Do?
In The Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossbow Training, the common goal is either shooting the targets, or shooting the enemies. You basically want to shoot down all the enemies or targets to get points, and as you do so, you want to get combos and shoot the other various items found laying around, as the ones in Twilight Princess. Try to get the highest score possible, and as you get more points, you get medals, granting you access to the next level.

How Is This Game
Well, taking in that this game is considerably cheap, Zelda, for the Wii, and a free accessory, I think it is worth your money. Once you have gotten used to the Wii Zapper, you can steady it and fire precisely, it's really enjoyable. My biggest complaint is that Link's Crossbow Training is very repetitive. Sure, the scenery makes it nice, but you sort of figure out how it works.

Aside from being repetitive, you get to relive parts Twilight Princess. There are familiar places and enemies, and even the targets were used in Twilight Princess (Regular bow and arrows… Pshh…).

Music
Come on people, it's The Legend of Zelda. The music was fantastic, straight from Twilight Princess. They changed it to match the area, which was nice, and it added to the nostalgia… You really can't expect nothing less from a Zelda game, musically…

Graphics
Well, the graphics in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossbow Training are all from Twilight Princess, and I personally think they are great. With the adult Link, and the “darker” Zelda theme, overall, it makes one enjoy living. The graphics add a nice touch to this game, something The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker would have difficulty achieving, with the cel-shaded graphics.

Game Length
Well, this probably won't take you long at all, probably two hours tops to beat all the levels and the final boss. Other than that, there isn't much to do than getting all platinum medals, which depending on your skill, could add anywhere from about two to three hours to the grand scheme. Overall, this game is very short, but it really wasn't meant to be a full game, just a game to get the Wii Zapper out there.

Replayability
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossbow Training is an arcade game, you can jump back in when ever you feel like it, jump back out when you get bored, and then later, pick up where you left off. If you are the type of person who gets a game, finds everything, and then never plays it again, you might not want to get this, for there really isn't much to do. But on the brighter side, if you can look past the pointlessness of getting the platinum medals and just play the game for entertainment, you will never find yourself bored. After all, what is the point of video games other than to entertain?

And In Conclusion…
When you take in all the factors, I think this game is really good. The Wii Zapper is fun and new, and there hasn't been a first-person shooter like this before. I think it was the nostalgic bit of this game from Twilight Princess that made Link's Crossbow Training shine. It is cheap and entertaining, definitely worth your money. If you like Zelda, this is game is meant for you, and even if you don't, I would go ahead and try it out. Well, I want to leave it at that, have some fun with life, be wary of the hand cramps, and until next time, adieu…

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/08

Game Release: Link's Crossbow Training (w/Zapper) (US, 11/19/07)