Review by Spinnah

"So this is how you Link the Zapper to the Wii. *Zapper review included*"

Alright. If you have ever paid any attention to Wii Zapper reviews from professional sources, you should know that they didn't do too well. Lack of spring, not very comfortable, cheap plastic, ect. and ect. But one positive was that it came with this game, called Link's Crossbow Training.

The first thing you should note is that the game is not "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossbow Training". Zelda has no part in this story, as there really isn't one. Link goes to different places and shoots stuff. It sounds like your generic WW2 game, but it is actually fun. And it doesn't need a story. Any level lasts about a minute, some longer than others. What story could really be told in a minute?

The graphics for this game are based around Twilight Princess, and as such look pretty good. Link, his trusty crossbow, and all the enemies look great. It's not Crysis by any means, but hey, at least this game can be run at it's highest quality without spending a trillion dollars on a computer. Yay!

The sound is good. You get the usual grunts from Link when he gets hit. Enemies roar, swords clang, Wild West music plays...wait, what? Yes, this game has a great sound selection. From the Kokiri Village song to a Western Shootout song depending on the level, you will hear great songs.

Gameplay. Imagine Wii Sports, but replace those games with ones that are actually pretty fun, and replace Miis with the one and only Link. There are 4 kinds of games. You have your basic target shooting. If you don't know what a "target shoot" is, seek your immediate Target store. You see that big red circle thing? You shoot those. Then you have a defend mission. In these missions, Link's feet have been cemented to the ground by the Gerudo Mafia and it is up to you to turn Link in circles and take aim at the approaching enemy. Then you have TPS mode as I call it. TPS stands for Third Person Shooter. You use the Nunchuk to move Link, and the Wiimote to aim. Then the last mode is the boss battle, in which you fight a boss of course. I won't spoil them, but they are actually quite challenging for the first time you fight them.

Target shoot is by far my favorite. In these, targets pop up, and you shoot them. No reloading, just shooting within the time limit. There are two kinds of targets. Red ones, which are worth 10 points for a regular hit and 30 for a bullseye, and Golden ones which are 50 for a hit and 150 for a bullseye. Targets pop up, you shoot, you proceed. Each level lasts 60 seconds, otherwise known as the minute. You can also shoot scarecrows. Shoot two of them 8 times in the body and once in the head to unlock a secret last area that contains many more golden targets.

Defense is pretty fun. You take aim at various enemies, and you shoot them. If the level allows for 360 degree rotation, moving the cursor to the edge of the screen will spin you. In this mode you can find special green enemies that upon killing them, give you a machine gun for a crossbow. Just hold the trigger and let the arrows flow like Link's cap in the wind.

TPS levels are also pretty fun. You use the Nunchuk stick to move forward, backward, or strafe. Once again, place the cursor on the edge of the screen to spin. There are a set amount of enemies to kill, like 25 or 30.

Boss battles are fun. I can't say anymore without spoiling it.

Everything so far sounds simple I'm sure. Aim, shoot enemies, win. WRONG! Just shooting stuff will kill your score. You need accuracy more than speed. You get a combo by not missing. So your first enemy will be worth 50 or something, but the next will be 100, because you won't miss, will you? 2 no-misses, so 2 times 50 = 100. Yay math! And so on and so forth. This may not seem like much, but imagine a 50 x 40 multiplier. That's what, 2000 points? That's a lot. And if you are on target practice and hit a golden target in the center, do 150 x 40. That's 6000 right there. And you'll need those points if you want a platinum score.

There are 9 levels, each split into 3 parts. Normally that involves a target shoot, a defense, and a TPS. Your score for the level is found by adding the scores for each part. Scores earn you medals. At least 20,000 for a bronze, 40,000 for a silver, 60,000 for a gold, and 80,000 for a platinum. 80,000 seems like a ton when you first start, but once you learn how to combo good scores, you will laugh at 80,000.

The controls are great. Wiimote aims. Nunchuk stick moves sometimes. The Z button zooms in. And the B trigger shoots. That's pretty much it. Simple yet ridiculously effective.

And that is pretty much it to the game. You play through 9 levels, trying to get 80,000 or higher. It is very fun, but eventually the fun runs out. It is a "good to go back to" game, a game you will play every once in a while. But I beat it in about a week, so it's not very long. There are 2 other major problems. The aim-fixer thing is lacking. You can adjust the height of the cursor, but not the horizontal position. I found my cursor always to my left unfortunately, so you can't use the Zapper to aim. The final problem is the multiplayer. You can play up to 4 people, but only 1 controller. What? This would have been great for 4 people, each with their own Zapper. But sadly, nope.

Overall, 9 out of 10. The game is insanely addictive and very fun. Unfortunately, it is quite short, the cursor is off, and the multiplayer is a joke. But they are mere cracks in this Hylian Castle. Buy this for a very fun, albeit limited, shooter.

End LCT review
*****************
Start Zapper review

Ok, so you are looking at purchasing the Zapper. What is it, what does it do, how much is it, does it work good, and why should I buy it are probably the most obvious questions. So let us answer them.

The Zapper, what is it? Well, in truth, it is a piece of plastic.

What does it do? It holds the Wiimote and Nunchuk to turn them into a gun for use with Lightgun style games.

How much is it? $25 USD, which is well worth it for that price. You get Link's Crossbow Training, which is alone worth $25.

Does it work good? For what it is, yes. Basically, you place the Wiimote on top, and the Nunchuk in the back. In the handle of the Zapper is a compartment to store the excess Nunchuk cord, which is a nice feature so you don't have this long cord hanging down. I found holding it quite comfortable. You hold the front with one hand, index on the trigger. The other hand holds the Nunchuk end, with 3 fingers in the small grip and the index on the C and Z button. The thumb is on the stick. Many people have said that this is "unrealistic". Go Google "P90 Submachinegun". It uses the same set-up.

Why should I buy it? Well, you should buy it because if you don't I will hunt you down and beat you like a potato. Mmmm, mashed potatoes. Seriously though, the reason to buy something like this is because you want to be immersed into your game more. It is much like buying a racing wheel for racing game. It just adds more depth. Do you have a on-rails shooter(or Medal of Honor: Heroes 2) lying around, and want to be more immersed? Buy this! That is it. It doesn't make the Wiimote more comfortable. It might steady your aim tiny bit, but nothing much. It won't attract girls. It won't clean your room. It just adds a level of immersion to your games.

The Nyko perfect shot is another option gamers have. I do not have it, but I see no point. Not only is the nunchuk still away from the Wiimote, but you don't get Link's Crossbow Training!

So yes, I feel that the Zapper is well worth a buy. It is cheap, it works well, and you get a free game that is alone worth $25. Some don't feel this way. There is no spring between the trigger and B button, so it feels squishy. Some don't find it comfortable. I'm a big guy, and have big hands, yet I can still hold it well. Maybe they were holding it wrong? I will admit it felt weird at first, but not uncomfortable. After an hour with Link's Crossbow Training, I couldn't play the game without it. Some feel it is just a piece of plastic used to hold the Wiimote and Nunchuk! Well ok, you got me there. But it isn't cheap. It is very sturdy, and holds both the Wiimote and Nunchuk snuggly. And it won't break unless you play Baseball with it.

So if you want immersion, and you have $25 burning a hole through your pockets, I recommend the Zapper. Or you might just want Link's Crossbow Training. Eitherway, it is a worth purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/14/08

Game Release: Link's Crossbow Training (w/Zapper) (US, 11/19/07)