Review by TripleJump

"I've never seen a game more worth the $20!"

Link's Crossbow training, a small game showing off the Wii Zapper. The Wii Zapper is essentially just a shell that you put the remote and nunchuck in, however it is a very FUN shell to use. It comes bundled with this game. The price? $20. This is a GREAT deal considering all the fun my friend and I had with it.

Graphics - 9/10

Essentially, this has the same graphics as Twilight Princess. The graphics are toned down slightly to make it easier to see and aim your crossbow. The locations featured all look the same or slightly edited than they do in the game to feature a better shooting range. They certainly aren't anything to complain about and are unimportant for a light gun game.

Sound - 10/10

It features the soundtrack from the actual game too, from Hyrule Field to the boss music, to the sweet awesome Hidden Village western theme. I found myself humming the music as I blew targets apart, very nice!

Controls - 9/10

The controls for a game like this are very important because it's what makes it fun. First of all, the Wii Zapper is best because you can hold it like a real weapon and fire from a trigger. The trigger is located at the front instead though because the back is used with the nunchuck. You point and click, that's it really. Some levels in this game have you run around on foot and I felt that the nunchuck mounted on the back felt awkward, so I took it off and kept the remote in and this felt much better. I felt it would have been nice if the Zapper featured a small groove to give an "iron-sight" like capability, but it doesn't have one. Fortunately, in Link's Crossbow Training you can zoom in by pressing a button on the nunchuck. It might have been better just to make Iron sights on the crossbow appear instead of zooming in however because it's easy to miss an appearing target when zoomed off into the horizon.

Gameplay - 9/10

The whole point of the game is to hit as many targets as you can. There are three types of levels : Ranger (where you move on foot and attack enemies), Defender (where you are in third person, but stand still and try to hold off the enemy attacks), and a first person Target Shooter mode where you have to hit targets. You have infinite ammo, but you don't want to just rapidly press the trigger because if you hit them consecutively you get point bonuses x2 and increasing by another 1 each time you hit (x3, x4, x5, etc. until you miss, this can go up to x20 and beyond). To get new levels, you have to get a certain amount of points in the set of 3 levels. You then receive a Bronze, Silver or Gold Medal and a new set of levels to beat. Did I mention there are actually boss fights? One of these battles is actually quite unique and feels like an actual Zelda Fight.

This game features several locations in-game, such as the Hidden Village. You actually have to take down the Archers (just like the thing in game) with your crossbow as quick as you can. This was awesome to relive it! There is also a spider shooter in the forest, more archer shooting in the desert and even the River Ride downstream. The only level that wasn't added that would be fun would be defending the carriage.

This game is a great one for parties, you can play co-operatively (by taking turns) or against each other by taking turns as well. My friend and I spent a couple hours unlocking all the levels together, then tried to beat each other's score. It's also good for a first time player to see you pick up the fully automatic arrows, it's funny to watch their eyes widen as you fire several arrows per second into your unsuspecting enemy. Did I mention all this is only for $20?

Buy or Rent?

BUY! It's only $20 and you get the Zapper, meaning if you like to play first person shooters this will be perfect for you.

Although it may only be a Tech Demo, it's still a great game to play and a long trail of fun will follow it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/28/08

Game Release: Link's Crossbow Training (w/Zapper) (US, 11/19/07)