Review by Sonic_Hero_Dude

"The best tech demo on the Wii so far. But does that really say much?"

Link's Crossbow Training is one of those swanky tech demos that the Nintendo Wii, with its revolutionary technology, practically HAS to make. It comes with the Wii Zapper, a very Super Scope-like mold for the Wii Remote and Nunchuck to further utilize an interactive experience for the player.

First off, I will review the Zapper itself.
Wii ZAPPER: 4/10
All I can say is I played with the Zapper for about an hour, then played without, and found it much easier not using it. Nearly all of the missions do not require the Nunchuck (with the exception of the few Ranger missions scattered through the game) and thus simply adds distance between you and your Remote. Also, when I did play the Ranger missions, it was very awkward using the Nunchuck, as the only way it felt like a comfortable distance away is when my arms were outstretched a bit, which made my arms tired.

Now, on to the game itself.

GRAPHICS: 7/10
Link's Crossbow Training uses landscapes and enemies straight from Twilight Princess. This is both its graphical strength and its weakness. While the graphics in Twilight Princess are beautiful, as anyone who has played the game will know, a small part of you can't help but feel like it has been cheated. Don't get me wrong, I like the graphics in TP, and this game as well, but as I went along, I thought that the money I spent had been almost wasted at something that could be a minigame on Twilight Princess.

MUSIC: 8/10
The music is very nice in this game. Again, they steal from Twilight Princess, using its musical score, but that does not bother me as much as borrowing graphics. Several continuations of a series, like Mario or Pokemon, will use the same music in several continuations. Therefore, similar music is almost natural in a video game, and Link's Crossbow Training is no exception.

GAMEPLAY: 10/10
The gameplay of Link's Crossbow Training is where it really shines. Even the simple rail shooting levels, where you must shoot the targets onscreen from area to area, is innovative and addictive. This game is repetitive enough not to be hard, but unpredictable enough to keep you on your toes. And with 10 levels and 30 stages, it's easy to see why.

TOTAL SCORE: 8/10
For a tech demo, with most of the things borrowed from another game, Link's Crossbow Training is really a good game. Just promise me one thing: buy the game without the Zapper, however you need to!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/04/08

Game Release: Link's Crossbow Training (w/Zapper) (US, 11/19/07)