Review by wolverinefan

"A shoddy port"

The original Samba De Amigo is one of my favorite Dreamcast games. One of the few I actually regret selling so when I heard it was coming to the Wii I got very excited. Who knew something so scary could happen to something so cute.

Sega really loves shooting itself in the foot. Instead of using the Wii's sensor bar for the movements, the game uses the tilt feature of the controls. maybe this would work if they were shaped the same but alas the nunchuck and wiimote are shaped nothing alike. Please note I don't have the maracas to try out.

In theory the tilt function should work fine and once I figured out it was using tilt things went better. See you have 9 areas on the screen that the note balls can go to. Left center, upper and lower and the same for the right. Up and down are simple because you til them upright or upside down but for some unknown reason the center notes are overly sensitive. On the lower difficulties it isn't too bad but I just unlocked hard and was raped hardcore by the constant tilting and it isn't smooth either because there is a brief delay while switching positions, no matter how fast you turn the controllers. Again, maybe the maracas will correct this but I don't feel like dropping $10 on something that won't fix my problem.

Visually the game is super cute with bright colors and cute creatures polluting the screen. Notes are always easy to see and despite a small issue keeping track of them on the higher difficulties I had no problems here. They really did watch how they were doing the colors because in some games the background distracts but not here.

With any music game you have to mentions the music. This one is filled with Latin love. You get some classic Spanish tunes, some I never heard of, then some Ricky martin, Reel Big Fish (which Is actually ska) and then we get new stuff to this release like Jennifer Lopez and Low Rider. It's a nice mix and I didn't hate any of the songs.

A new feature to this game is the wave. It was actually introduced in the Japan only sequel so it isn't new for everyone. It's a simple idea of waving a controller when told to. Nothing special or grand but it splits things up nicely.

The game features a nice selections of modes. I didn't get a chance to try out the on-line play so I can't comment on that but it, like every Wii game, uses the friend code which I find to be an annoying and tedious way of playing online.

The game features a single player and a two player mode. It's where you can just pick whatever song you want to play. There is also the career mode which is the main focus of the review which is split up into difficulties and then into challenges. They aren't real challenges but just finish the song with a passing grade.

There's 48 items to unlock and by the time I got to Hard mode I only had 18 or so unlocked. I believe that includes the extra songs and the sound effects. I wished the wave sound effects unlocked faster than the maraca sounds but oh well, it's still really cute to have the Chao sounds every time you hit a note.

Samba De Amigo is a fine game and I would recommend checking it out but don't bother with anything past medium difficulty because it's barely playable. Thankfully they provided a code to unlock everything which is nice. Just be weary of the controls because they aren't as good as they should be.

Story - N/A
Graphics - 8/10
Sound - 9/10
Control - 6/10
Game Play - 7/10
Replay value - 8/10

Final Score - 7/10

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/09/09

Game Release: Samba de Amigo (US, 09/23/08)