Review by wolverinefan

"A cheap and fun game worth checking out"

I love playing these games in the arcade but I'm never good unless I drop $5 into the machine. Thankfully I rented this at the same time I'm borrowing a co-workers Zapper which makes this feel more natural than the simple Wiimote.

This is a compilation of the second and third games in the quadrilogy. No clue why they left out the first game as I'm sure it would have been very easy to put onto a Wii disc but the fourth game is something I don't think the Wii can handle.

Nothing has been done to these games in the graphics or sound department. 2 looks very dated but part 3 has some great enemy designs and the locations looks much nicer than part 2. Both look just like their arcade games though. Same goes for the horrid voice acting which is one of the cheesy highlights to this series. I won't say I enjoyed it but it's worth watching all the cut scenes a t least once.

Music is still creepy and it really reminds me a Romero film. The third game has a much stronger score that seems to fit the mood much better than the second game. I wouldn't be either soundtrack though.

I'm not a big fan of the Wii Zapper as it's a bit too clunky and for this game you don't use the analog stick on the nunchuck so it feels a bit too heavy. It does get the job done and my aim was much better than when I tried with the Wiimote which really doesn't have a good shape for shooting zombies. Either setup works though.

What I've always liked about these games is the branching paths. The second game has a much more elaborate branching path so I enjoy playing that one and trying to find the different ways through the level, which is harder than one would think.

The third game doesn't really have branching paths that I noticed but you get to pick the order of the middle three stages so I guess that's different. I do like the more focused playing field though but this also takes away the replay value.

It shouldn't be too big of a concern though as the game has a lot of unlockable like new modes, infinite credits and other fun little bonuses. Plus you can play with a friend which is always better.

Single and two player play the same though. One won't be harder than the other. Bosses still have their weak spots and besides the last boss in part three I never had any real problems with the bosses. Maybe the sloth in three since he moved so much but otherwise most went down without a fight as their weak spots were obvious.

If you haven't gathered that this is a first person rail shooter than I apologize. You just shoot the enemies as they pop out at you and the game moves you along a predetermined route, unless you're playing the second game then you can alter your course by shooting things or saving people.

It's a fun game and thankfully it was released at a bargain price. Once it's a little cheaper I may buy it for myself but it made a great and quick rental, much like most Wii games. Fans of the series should enjoy this and the added bonuses add a lot to the game as well. Hopefully more companies release these shooter packs as they are a nice diversion (do you hear me Namco?)

Story - 7/10
Graphics - 8/10
Sound - 8/10
Control - 9/10
Game Play - 9/10
Replay Value - 8/10

Final Score - 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/10/08

Game Release: The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (US, 03/11/08)