Review by ender003

"It left me wanting more, because it was good (and short)."

Introduction: You play as Toku, a young boy who stumbles upon a broken piece of Spirit Stone containing Enril, the Wind Spirit. Together you set out to help restore her power so she can reawaken the other spirits who have over the years forgotten who they really are so they can ultimately defeat Balasar, a twisted, evil Spirit gone mad with power.

Gameplay: It's a very elemental game. You use your environment to progress through the game. Whether it be fire to burn down a door, water to give life to a plant that shoots you in the air, or a boulder to smash through walls and other barriers, the elements are there to help you. It's got some clever puzzles. Using the Wiimote to control the wind, among other things, works really well and is very accurate. Toku runs fairly slow on his own, but with some help from the wind, he can move at a nice pace. There's also a basic co-op sort of like in Super Mario Galaxy where another person with a controller can control some things on the screen too. I haven't tried it, so I don't know how well that works.

Story: Well, you don't get to do everything I mentioned in the intro. Some of that is apparently going to be saved for the already announced sequel(s). You do "revive" one of the Spirits, Deo. He's sort of like a babysitter for you when your mother is off on an adventure. The story gives off a tone far darker than the atmosphere of the game would have you believe. But it's not too big of a contrast. It works.

Graphics/Sound: It's both sad and funny that it really does look better than many disc-based retail Wii games. There's nice attention to detail like leaves blowing off of trees in the breeze and water spraying from a strong gust. The fire, especially, looks really nice. It's a very stylized game. It's not going for an ultra-realistic look, it's got a nice cartoony design. The music fits really well too. It's soft and soothing and, unsurprisingly, mostly wind-based instruments like flutes. When there's an enemy on screen the music changes to a fast drumming. The enemies make a funny little scream when you catch them up in a vortex.

Play Time/Replayability: Ok. Yes it's true. If you play it at a fast pace, it will likely last you around 3 hours, maybe less if you're really fast. I got through it in closer to 4 hours, but I tend to really take my time with games. There's 24 collectible Melodia Statues you can try to get, but as far as I can tell, they don't do anything. But they're there if you want to go for 100% completion.

Final Recommendation: So is it worth your 1000 Wii Points? I'd say yes. Compare it to many other things for that same price. An hour and a half movie plus a popcorn if you're lucky. And you can only see that once. It's certainly fun while it lasts.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/14/08, Updated 05/19/08