Review by midnight1300

"Good, but not great"

I personally love the Toy Story movies. They have always had a special place in my heart. So it came naturally to me that I should get the video game to keep me occupied until the movie come out on Friday. I enjoyed the game but I felt that it could have been better.

Gameplay: The game has two modes: Story Mode and Toy Box Mode. I will review both of them. Story Mode starts off with Woody riding on the back of Bullseye to save a train filled with orphans from running off the track. This level gets you hooked on the game which is important. Then you skip ahead about ten years later and find that Andy is going to college and the toys' fate is yet to be determined. But before he goes, the toys are determined to have him play with them one last time. To do this, they need to call Andy on his cell phone with the home phone. This is fun until you get to the basement where the home phone is. You have to guide the soldiers to the phone with your Wiimote and it is extremely hard to control. So, overall, I didn't like Story mode too much. Then there's Toy Box Mode which is the main selling point of the game. It begins when mayor Hamm announces you sheriff. You can play as Woody, Buzz and Jessie, each with different abilities. You help the citizens out by completing missions (mainly fetch quests) and in turn you get gold, which can be used to buy things like new toys and new locations for your town. You can also customize your town with different themes hidden around the town. This, believe it or not, is quite fun and will keep you occupied for a while. Although there isn't much variety in the missions, they're still fun. In short, Toy Box Mode is much more easier to control and more fun than Story Mode.

Graphics: This game has incredible graphics. You can see each character very clearly and it almost looks like the folks from Pixar created the graphics. The only problem I had with the graphics was that they're so powerful I can hear the disk spinning in my Wii the entire time you play. Usually games only do this for a few seconds so I'm afraid it's wearing out my Wii. But otherwise the graphics are very good.

Sound: If you have seen the Toy Story movies you'll recognize "You've Got a Friend In Me" at the title screen. The rest of the game is the score from the movies which is good but I wish they would come up with something a little more original. The voice actors sound the same except Buzz, who sound completely different. All in all, the sound is just o.k.

Replaybility: After you beat the game, there is some good fun to be had afterwards. You can complete some of the missions that are in the different locations and just change the look of your town. So, after you beat the game there's still a lot to do.

Overall, Toy Story 3 is a good game. It has lots of action and fun in it. But the disappointing controls of story mode and the so-so sound give this review a 7/10.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/10

Game Release: Toy Story 3 (US, 06/15/10)