Review by Sypher802

"Sonic Unfinished"

I have been so utterly excited for this title that I decided to go out and pick up the Wii version the other day. My thoughts? Great game, but clearly unfinished.

When I was little Sonic the Hedgehog was one of my favorite games, a game I could not stop playing. And then I grew up, and Sonic Adventure came out. It was sub par, mediocre. Then Adventure 2 hit the shelves and I was baffled. Everything was simply done better than in the first one. I couldn't pull away until I beat it, and Shadow ended up one of my favorite characters.

And then, as any Sonic fan knows, everything went downhill from there. One after the other, horrible games with the blue blur were released. Sega was pumping them out like some freakish factory. I was baffled again, but not for good reasons this time.

I regained hope when the first info for Sonic Unleashed was released.

So what did I think?

This is the first Sonic game that I've had fun with in a long time.

Pros:
The graphics are great. The wii is pumping out full force with this title, and boy does it show. The daytime environments are bright and colorful, and the night is dreary and shiny.

Gameplay is split up into two parts. One part is the daytime levels, which put a huge grin on my face the first time I played one. The sheer speed and excitement you get as you race through these are worth the fifty dollars alone. Bumpers, dashboards, springs, badnicks, rails, all the necessities are here for a fun and amazing Sonic environment. If the wii version is this good, I can't wait to get my hands on the 360 one.

The second part, the werehog, while clearly not quite as fun as the blazing day stages, are still quite enjoyable. The platforming sections are challenging enough to be tough, but easy enough to where you're not tearing your hair out. The combat is simple, but fun. Each boss for the werehog is different, first there was a Phoenix that you had to put out with water, hit a few times, and then put in commands God of War style while you watched Sonic beat the ever loving crap out of it. Next was a giant snake that you had to freeze in order to get time to do good chunks of damage.

The music, O...M...G... The music, I haven't heard music this catchy since S3&K. My favorite tracks have to be Shamar's day and night theme, hands down. As for the voice acting, did they suddenly get BETTER? I mean seriously. Sure you still have moments where you facepalm it's so ridiculous, but they are much fewer in this one. I enjoyed the voices a lot more than in Sonic 06 that's for sure.

Cons:
And so we've arrived. This game is incomplete. Two stages are missing. Also missing are a good chunk of the day time acts, throwing the hedgehog werehog proportion way out of balance. I enjoyed the werehog, but three acts with it and only one act and a mission or two in the day is a bit much.

ALSO missing are Knux and Shadow, where the heck did those two get to? And ALSO missing are the mini games with the amigo characters.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but clearly, this title is only a little taste of what we'll be getting in a couple of days.

These problems will all be remedied with the 360 PS3 release.

This game is extremely enjoyable. However, unless you're super excited like I am, save your money, wait for the 360 release.

7/10

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/21/08

Game Release: Sonic Unleashed (US, 11/18/08)