Review by cococrispys

"The Best FPS on the Wii, So Far!"

Introduction
Call of Duty: World at War is definitely the best FPS on the Wii, at the time I am writing this review. The graphics are definitely realistic, for the Wii. It may not be as good as some other consoles with this game, but it is still great. The gameplay is where the game really shines. The single player and online definitely go beyond standards for the Wii. The single player is fun, and so is the online. The online part of this game was why the game is the best FPS on the Wii. Lastly, the controls were fantastic for the Wii. There were lots of options, and playing with a gun really makes it realistic. Ok, so now off to the main review.

Graphics: 8.5/10

The graphics for this game was great for the Wii, but compared to other consoles, it is not the best. I am a PC gamer (and the PC has the best graphics, with the best video card), and this game would be pretty much a tad over the worst resolution for the PC. You may think this is bad, but actually, the graphics are not as awful as you may think. I think that it has the best graphics compared to any other game on the Wii. Treyarch (the company who made this game) did a fine job on the graphics on this game. I really do not think they could do any better, considering how low the power is on the Wii. Also, do not forget that gameplay beats graphics any day.

Gameplay: 9.5/10

Call of Duty: World at War has great gameplay. Lets start with single player. I hate single player games. I especially hate FPS single player games, because they are so boring. However, Call of Duty: World at War is one of the four FPS single player games that I would actually not mind playing again. Anyway, Treyarch added all of the single player levels (except for two) from other consoles to the Wii. So, you have basically the same experience on this game as anyone else can on consoles, except for two levels. Treyarch creatively made all of the levels, with objectives and everything like previous Call of Duty series. The game also can be very challenging. I easily died many times in the campaign, on regular. It is more of a challenge trying to beat it with even harder modes. If this game did not have online, the game would be worth about $35 in my opinion.

I am devoting this paragraph to talk about what they did not add to the game, and what they did add compared to the other consoles. They did not add Zombies, or Coop. Yes, these two modes are very fun, but this game can be awesome without them. Secondly, they added vehicles. Vehicles, are "noobish" or cheap. I am glad that there are no vehicles in the Wii version. You can actually show your skill, without getting blown up by a tank before getting a 20 kill streak. Next, there is squadmate mode. I did play this mode with a friend, it was fun. Split screen would be a little bit better (but there is less space on the screen), but this mode is fine. Speaking of split screen, there is no local multiplayer, and friends can not play with me online. It would be nice if this could happen, but I guess the game does not have a feature of friends playing online or local multiplayer on the same Wii. The next thing is 8 player online. Before I got this game, I thought that was extremely stupid... It turns out that the maps are perfectly suitable for that amount of players. It does not take long to find someone either. Lastly, they got rid of a few maps. I don't care much about that either, because the maps that the Wii does not have, are not that good. Now, time to explain the best part of the game!

Yes! The Online! I love Online! Fun... fun... fun... So much to explain.

First of all, CoD WaW has the same challenge system as Call of Duty 4. If you played Call of Duty 4, the challenge system and weapons system are exactly the same! The Wii finally has a great online experience! Anyway, you may unlock weapons (there are many weapons) unlock challenges, and gain rank. The highest rank you can be is 65, and then you have the choice to prestige (start over again). Also, if you prestige, you can get another custom weapon slot. Also, when you play online, there is not much lag at all. Another part of the online play, is that if you get kill streaks, you get rewards. For a 3 kill streak, you can call a Recon Plane (detects enemy fire on your radar), for a 5 kill streak you can send an artillery strike (you pick the place on a map, and the artillery strikes shoots "explosives" in that area), and a seven kill streak sends out dogs. The online in this game has replayability of about... forever. However, It would be nice if it had split screen online, but Treyarch did do a FANTASTIC job on the online, though!

Controls: 9/10

This is another part of the game that is fantastic. I can tell that Treyarch spent a lot of time on this (as well as online). The IR control is perfect, in my opinion. I have Medal of Honor Heroes 2 (great game, not as good as this one though), and that has great IR pointing as well. The game also has five different control styles, with many options. It also has a Wii Zapper control scheme, and works nearly perfectly. It does have gestures for the Wii Zapper, so those are kind of difficult to do at first. The important thing is to get used to them. One main set back in this game for me is that knifing is kind of hard to do (for the zapper controls), even if someone is right in front of you. You must thrust the remote forward, and sometimes it misses, or the aim gets wild. I think it would have been smarter if Treyarch used the nunchuck to knife someone instead of the Wii Remote (if you are using a gun other than the zapper). Even though knifing is kind of difficult, I would definitely recommend you to get a gun (I have the Nyko Perfect Shot and the Nerf Switch-Shot, but a zapper is fine) to get better aiming. The controls are great for a Wii shooter like this.

Presentation/Interface: 10/10

How can this be any better? Lets start with presentation. Before each single player level, there is a presentation on why you are fighting at that specific place in the game. Then, it has a black and white short "movie" on soldiers. Then, once you move on to the game, it gives you the Call of Duty 4 feeling. The effects are amazing, and actually seems like you are fighting the war. This can not be any better! Also, at some points in the game, if you get captured, the presentation will WOW you! You have the feeling in a video game that an enemy soldier may come up to you, and just kill you. It gives you a danger feeling. Now the interface of this game rocks as well. It uses nearly the same interface as Call of Duty 4. If I get a kill, it adds to my score, as well as an assist. Call of Duty: World at War for the Wii has the perfect presentation and interface.

Overall: 9/10 (not an average)
This is the best FPS on the Wii, at the moment. The graphics, gameplay, controls, and presentation are all above average. I have the PC version as well as this one (which is almost the exact same as the 360 and PS3 versions), and I can state that this is just as fun. I would definitely recommend buying it. From all of the Wii FPS shooters I have played, this definitely wins. The graphics is great, considering the Wii does not have much power. The single player is one of the best experiences I had for this console in awhile. The online is nearly perfect in this game. The controls are great (if you use a gun). And the Presentation or Interface is perfect. I hope the next Call of Duty Wii game is just as good. This proves that the Wii is one step closer to finally compete its competitors.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/07/09

Game Release: Call of Duty: World at War (US, 11/10/08)