Review by Kraven_XRLKB

"The Wii's own taste of FPS greatness"

The Conduit has had many bad reviews and some good reviews. I am reviewing this game due to the fact this game deserves more credit than what it has received.

As many of you know, The Conduit was developed by High Voltage Software. HVS as we now may call it has had some rather disappointing games in the past and hardly any of them received any amounts of credit. The Conduit on the other hand was announced and gave Wii owner's a new glimmer of hope in the FPS genre.

Now, I know many of you think what can you expect from the Wii in terms of FPS games and The Conduit is your answer. In this review, I will be talking about the pros and cons of The Conduit.

STORY [8/10]

The story in The Conduit isn't as predictable as some have so passively said. Single player consists of 9 missions of what you come to expect in a typical shooter game but built around a device called the ASE or the All Seeing Eye.

The story takes place in Washington D.C. and you play as a Trust agent named Michael Ford who is sent to eliminate the drudge and save the president. Now, I don't want to ruin the story for those who haven't played it so I won't be releasing any spoilers in this review. I can tell you that the story is way deeper than most think and High Voltage has done a really good job in hiding the full story. Perhaps, they are saving it for the 2nd installment of The Conduit. The only thing that hinders the story from receiving a 9 or 10 is the lack of cutscenes and the very small amount of characters within the game.

GRAPHICS [9.5/10]

One of the biggest things about The Conduit is it's impressive graphics. HVS did a really good job with the character models, the setting and whole feel of the game in terms of graphics.

Some people have criticized the graphics for being too dark or having too gloomy of a setting. When we are talking about a real life place and the world at the brink of destruction, I do not believe this should be a valid complaint.

There is one small flaw with these amazing graphics and that is the lack of anti-aliasing which removes the jagged edges you see on tables, cupboards and other little things with lines. This is nothing big but to some it may be an annoyance.

CONTROLS [10/10]

This game by far has the best controls than any other FPS game for the Wii. The reason being is the inclusion of custom mapping. Let's say that you don't want to jump with the A button you can map to almost any motion or button you want. You are also able to customize the deadzone, how fast your turn and look up and down. The only let down with the controls is the lack of sprint and this is a great annoyance especially on maps like Pentagon where you just want to run instead of wasting time walking.

GAMEPLAY: SINGLE PLAYER [6.5/10]

If you bought this game just for the single player and have no desire to play online I will say you are wasting your money. The single player is quite lack luster due to its generic FPS game feel. The only thing that really saves the single player from being a real drag is the inclusion of the ASE, which you can use to find secret messages, hack into computers, and find hidden mines and other things. At some point in the game you will be faced with the challenge of fighting enemies while disarming bombs with your ASE and this is a huge aggravation.

If you are buying this game just for the single player use the single player score as the total score because this game really isn't worth 50 dollars for a short campaign filled with small aggravations.

GAMEPLAY: MULTIPLAYER [8.5/10]

The multiplayer is the real hook in terms of gameplay. Many people were let down due to the absence of offline splitscreen but the online really makes up for that. Now the online has a total of 7 maps and 13 modes with 15 weapons to choose from. Before each game starts you and other players vote on which map, mode and weapon set to play kind of like Mario Kart's voting system. The maps are all mirrored but this is just to make both sides have even advantages and disadvantages. The modes are split into categories which include “Free for All”, “Team Reaper” which is like team deathmatch, and the new “Team Objective” which is for all the objective based games. Each weapon set is balanced really well besides the “Explosive” weapon set where everyone spawns with a rocket launcher; anyone can see that would be a problem. Now the only flaw with the multiplayer is the glitches most of the glitches are bearable but there is a glitch where you spawn with a black screen and cannot access the menu. Another thing that hinders online play is the fact of hackers ruining online with aimbots and invincibility, my advice to anyone who sees a hacker is to leave game. If Nintendo would do something about the hackers then the online experience would be near perfect.

OVERALL [8.5/10]
The Conduit is a Wii owners must, with its amazing online play and impressive graphics it is totally worth the 50 dollar range. If you own a gaming computer, Xbox360, or PS3 this game is only worth a rental and is only a final score of 6.5.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/16/09

Game Release: The Conduit (GameStop Exclusive Special Edition) (US, 06/23/09)