Review by shadowfuryx10

"Wii's first exclusive FPS is here. But is it worth buying."

So its finally here. The Wii's first FPS exclusive to the console (Metroid Prime 3 is a first person adventure). Developer High Voltage Software has tried to make a game that pushes the Wii's graphical standard with the new Quantum3 engine giving it graphical effects used on the 360 and PS3. But have they been able to make a great game all round though? Here is my verdict on The Conduit.

The story doesn't try to be new and exciting but instead goes with the tried and true formula of an Alien invasion. You play as Michael Ford, an agent hired to stop this from an evil organisation. You use the ASE (All Seeing Eye) to help you with this as well as an arsenal of human and alien weapons. What the story does is how the aliens actually come to Earth or, more specifically, Washington. Instead of just dropping down in space ships they come through portals called conduits which you have to destroy. There's also a twist at he end that while not shocking it at least tries to be slightly different. Overall though the story isn't that great, instead its rather average.

Controls: 10/10
This a shining example on what other FPSs should include: Customisable controls! You can choose what every button does without any problem. You can jump with the 1 button if you wish (but that wouldn't be smart would it)! You can even change running speed, turning speed, remote dead zone, etc. Never have I played an FPS with this must control customisation. The only thing you can't is the aiming but pointing with the remote is much more natural than analog sticks.

Single player: 7/10
Good, not great. You go through nine missions (the first being a tutorial) gunning down enemies on the way. The enemies are either the Drudge (the aliens) or Marines with some sort of mind control on them. Its fine at first but eventually gets repetitive. There are trust data disks to find and scan with the ASE but that isn't enough to make you want another run through. Speaking of the ASE it does it's job of finding hidden passages and blowing up mines but I'm going to have to agree with Gamespot and say that it fells a bit underused.

Multiplayer/Online play: 9/10
The only option for multiplayer is online and thank god its a blast! You can choose to fight with friends (sadly you need friend codes), people in your regional area or worldwide. I suggest regional for random play as its much better than worldwide in my opinion. You can choose free for all, team deathmatch (team reaper as it is called) or team objective. All of them play well and its just fun to play against other people gunning them down when they least expect it! Sadly no split screen has been included for local play. You can also customize your HUD for online play.

Well we all expected a high score in this category didn't we! The graphics are definitely great for Wii standards. High points definitely go to the character, gun and ASE models which look absolutely superb. The areas look dark and destroyed from the invasion with pieces of rubble scattered around the areas. My only complaint is that I think Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 look slightly better but this is still a great effort on High Voltage Software's behalf.

Overall: 7.5/10: Rounded= 8/10
High voltage Software did their best at making a Wii exclusive FPS and they have succeeded it terms of graphics, controls and online play. Sadly the story and single player don't hold up as well with a generic story about an alien invasion mixed with action that gets repetitive. Overall though The Conduit is a game you should have a go at as I guarantee you will at least get some fun out of it. You probably should have Wifi though as it gives it much more replay value.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/27/09

Game Release: The Conduit (EU, 07/10/09)