Review by nobodyguy

"The Kid Friendly Contra"

I remember the first time I play a Contra game. It was the first Contra game on the NES and it was so frustrating that makes me mad and so good I could not put the controller down. I don't think veterans will have that kind of experience here, but maybe the new generation of gamer could have it.

In this aspect Contra Rebirth takes the now popular road of “the retro” and emulates something that could be seen on the SNES or Sega Genesis and in my opinion, you don't need much more than that for a grate and classic 2D shooter. Some effects seem really outdated and the explosions everywhere make it difficult to see what's going on at times, but that's part of the charm.

This is where things start to get awkward. The sound effects for the explosion, shooting, etcetera are ok but I can't say the same for the music. Don`t get me wrong, you will listen the same old good Contra tunes… and that is my problem. Some of the songs don't even sound like true remixes of the classic ones, they sound exactly the same! That may be a good thing for some people, but I see it like laziness from the developers.

This is the same Contra gameplay we all love. An endless wave of enemies shooting, running and trying everything to kill you. Unfortunately not all is perfect in Contra land. First of all the history, not that it really need one but there it is, at least at first. You are awakened from your cryogenic sleep to fight the forces of Salamander... and that's pretty much it. Who is Salamander? Why were you sleeping on a space ship? Who cares anyway? My problem is that it seems that at first they are trying too hard to deliver a story, and then they just say “f**k it, let`s just put some still images that look cool and some text that have nothing to do with anything”.

The next big issue with this game is that is too short. 5 stages. Just five stages and that's it, it doesn't matter the difficult you are playing in, that's it. I could understand this kind of thing for a cell phone game, but not for a “full” game that cost 1,000 wii points. You can finish this game in about 30 minutes.

This “incomplete” feeling is present in the weapons as well. You got only 3 weapons (not counting the one you start with” this makes me thing if this wasn't actually a cellphone game ported to the Wii.

Last but not least is the difficulty. If you have played any of the other Contra games, you will see this like a walk in the park, even in its hardest difficult. This it's hurt even more with the option of starting with 7 lives, that is optional, but what is not is the infinity continues, this makes the game too easy to complete, and less rewarding to do so, but newcomers will be more than thankful to have this options.

Controls: 8/10
You can use a classic or game cube controllers and play smoothly. Using the wiimote is like using a classic NES controller but it gets kind of hard to walk and shoot at the same time since you have to constantly press the shoot button to do so, but this control implements one simple yet fun function: to change your weapons by shaking the wiimote. If you use your imagination it feels like you are recharging your machine gun or something… well maybe that's just me, but I find this little mechanic to be fun.

Replay Value: 3/10
You unlock a new character by finishing the game in easy and normal difficulty and the “nightmare” difficulty if you finish it on hard, and that's it. Even if you want to unlock every feature, you can do it in a couple of hours.

Final Words:
This is not a bad game, actually is a very decent one, but his none existence replay value, lack of game modes, short length and its price make this hard to recommend. If you are a new comer, this could be a good start, if you want a Contra challenge on the Wii get Contra III on virtual console and if you want the ultimate contra experience get Contra 4 for the DS

Controls: 8/10
Replay Value: 2/10

Final Score: 5.8/10

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 09/21/09

Game Release: Contra ReBirth (US, 09/07/09)