Review by mikethejesus

"Nintendo has simply stopped trying."

Let me begin by saying I have loved Mario games since their humble beginnings on the NES, through each gaming system up to the Wii. However, their latest release can not be said to be anything more than Mario 3 and New Super Mario Bros. repackaged, and resold to the all too willingly to buy any and all things Mario consumer.

I am not saying this is not a fun game to play, it is just as fun as the previous games it so often "borrows" from. This is why a 5/10- playable but nothing special about it, is the only score that accurately depicts what this game offers.

I love Mario 3, I enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, but this is getting ridiculous. Why we allow Nintendo to simply repackage the same game and resell it as the next installment of the series, is beyond reasoning. Literally, this game is an exact copy of it's predecessors, all be it they've added a new propeller hat, the all but worthless ice flower, and the penguin suit which is nothing more than the ice flower ability combined with going wooo as you slide on your belly. They've even copied the worlds, the mushroom huts, the matching games, the castles, the bosses, to find one original idea in this game is all but impossible. And the ideas they did come up with to add a little something new, were poor ideas at best.

For instance, the propeller hat. The first few times you'll be cheering Mario on as he soars higher and higher, then you realize something, something terrible- doesn't the ability to fly/glide combined with the ability to jump off of walls, make platforming just a little easy? And by just a little easy I mean that this game is easily beaten within the first few hours.

The multiplayer system should earn itself a separate review on it's own. Come on Nintendo, I've come to terms with the fact that you are completely incapable of creating anything that could be described as a good multiplayer experience, but this goes beyond reason. No online? Not even the terrible online that Nintendo offers? Alright alright, I can get past that as long as the multiplayer in home is good, what's that? You've added 2 generic toads as the other 2 playable characters? Did all of the other recognizable characters die in a horrible accident? Wow Nintendo, just wow.

Rent this game (for a single day if possible), please I beg of you do not buy it. I will personally guarantee that it is never taken of the shelf after the first week of possession if you do.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 11/30/09

Game Release: New Super Mario Bros. Wii (US, 11/15/09)