Review by SuperScizor

"Here We Go! x4"

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

It's been a long time since a 2-D Mario game has been on a console. 18 years to be exact. Now that it's finally arrived, I can't say I'm disappointed.

This game stands out with its ingenious level design. I'm not going to reveal all of the cool levels in this game, but there are some that are really neat. One of the levels has you in a dark cave on a barge. You tilt the remote to aim the barge's floodlight. Another level is an underwater cave that is pitch-black except for the angler fish lighting your way. It's good to know that Nintendo hasn't lost its creativity when creating the levels. The powerups are also new and great. The Propeller Mushroom lets you fly by shaking the Wiimote. The Penguin Suit lets you slide on ice, swim better, and throw snowballs. You'll use both of these powers often to collect Star Coins and find the hidden exits in the levels.

Controls: 10/10

Not only does this game have great level design, it also has top-notch controls. They're pretty much unchanged from the original game, but they were already perfect in the first place. I'm not sure why you can Spin Jump in this game, however. It doesn't serve much purpose, but it's pretty cool looking.

This game mixes 3-D and 2-D well. It has 2-D gameplay and 3-D graphics (but you probably already knew that.) The 3-D objects in this game are well textured despite being shown on a 2-D perspective. Spiky pillars that spin around as they move, icebergs that are crystal-clear all over, and seaweed that moves about underwater really show that the developers put a lot of effort in this game. My only complaint is that the camera is zoomed out a little too much. It makes some of the details in the character models a little hard to see. Perhaps this is because I'm not playing on a widescreen TV, however.

Multiplayer: 10/10

Now this is where the game really shines. You can play this game with 4, count 'em, 4 players at once. This leads to frantic and laugh-out-loud moments of stealing items, picking up your friends, and accidentally stepping on them, causing them to fall to their doom. Unfortunately, this game has no online play, but it doesn't take much away from the fun. Let's face it, all of those funny moments wouldn't be the same if you weren't playing with someone in the same room.

What can I say? Peach gets kidnapped... for the millionth time. Well, it works, so why change it? I'd give this section a lower score, if it weren't for certain things. For one thing, the game builds up some suspense by not revealing Bowser until the very end. When you finally get there, there are a few funny and exciting moments. But I'm not going to spoil the fun, so I'm not going into more detail. Let's just say that the final battle's pretty fun and challenging while not being too difficult.

Final Score: 9/10

This game is one of the best Mario games out there. If you don't have it now, I'd recommend you get it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/30/09

Game Release: New Super Mario Bros. Wii (US, 11/15/09)