Review by Bleuet

"I like Hammer Brothers and Yoshis and Stuff"

Intro:

Back in 2006 Nintendo released New Super Mario Bros. for the DS. Three years later, Mario fans are being treated to a new New Super Mario Bros., this time on the Wii. Just like the previous rendition, NSMBW seeks to capture the magic of the older Mario games—the adventures before the portly plumber was hoping into portraits to race talking penguins or tearing up the galaxy in search of star bits. Those classic 2-D escapades where a crazy sun could come down right from the sky and you could hitch a ride on a certain dinosaur with a long tongue and quite the appetite. Yes, NSMW seeks to take elements from all the older Mario game cartridges and mash them onto one disk of nostalgia gaming bliss. In that goal, New Super Mario Bros. Wii succeeds.

Story/ Gameplay:

Princess Toadstool gets captured by Bowser and co. in a giant cake and Mario, Luigi and Toads must transverse eight worlds to get her back. That's the story. Got it? Good.

The gameplay of NSMBW plays much like New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, which is based on the older games from the Nintendo and Super Nintendo. So if you've played any Mario games in the last decade, you should have a basic understanding of what will be required of you. As you navigate your way through worlds of various terrains, from sky to snow to desert, you make your way through levels taking on koopas, bullet bills, hammer bros., and everything else in between. The game brings back tons of classic enemies from the series including some of the lesser known minions of the Mushroom Kingdom. And best of all, Ludwig, Lemmy, Iggy, and all the rest of the Koopa Kids have returned to help out their daddy!

A new multiplayer edition allows up to four players (Mario, Luigi, and two Toads) to play through levels simultaneously. This means you and three of your buddies can now run around on screen at the same time taking down the evil hammer bros. together. No more waiting on the sidelines for your turn to play. Everybody plays at once and if anyone dies they are brought back right into the action via a bubble to continue on—assuming they have lives in stock. If not they can be brought back on the world screen. Players can be added or dropped easy as pie on the world screen as well. So when your best bud or cousin stops by to make sure you're still alive since you haven't been out of the house due to being addicted to this game, they can join you a few levels and then be on their way. Or become addicted themselves.

Multiplayer is incorporated extremely well and doesn't force players to have to start a new game. It's also a heck of a good time that adds gobs of replay value to the game. Having your family or friends with you as you tackle levels is sure to lead to some craziness and chaos that is truly fun for all ages. Whether you're a constant gamer who owns all the current gen consoles or a father who hasn't touched a game since he beat Super Mario Bros. 3 back in the day, you're going to have a great deal enjoyment playing this game… even if you can't stay manage to stay alive for more than a minute.

And of course, it wouldn't be a Mario game without secrets and power-ups! NSMBW offers the usual mushrooms and fire flowers along with some new powers-ups including a cute penguin suit that allows players to slide really fast on ice and throw snowballs to freeze enemies. There are also hidden areas, concealed 1-ups, secret exits, and tons of other secret stuff to keep players coming back to replay levels again and again.

Though the name of the game implies that it plays like New Super Mario Bros. of the DS (which it does), I find that this game plays much closer to a sequel for Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES—which is a good thing… a very good thing. The airship levels and Koopa Kid battles had me remembering back to the days of SMB 3 and I couldn't help but smile and take it all in. Heck, the game even has you turn the Wii controller to its side to replicate the old school NES controller.

Weaknesses:

This game doesn't have many. But I did find two: too short and too easy. I finished this game within a week of my purchase after playing it for a few hours every day. Eight worlds seem big but when you've got a couple of hours to kill they can go by really fast. And although there were some levels that had me eating through my 1-up mushrooms, most of the levels were fairly easy to get through in the first go around.

Closing:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is as though Nintendo reached right back into the old days and grabbed a chunk of classic Mario gaming to give to us in the present. And I thank them and am deeply grateful for it. While the game is definitely on the shorter side compared to gaming these days, NSMBW is brimming with secret and has a multiplayer feature that adds more replayability than most games out there today. Rest assured that you'll be coming back again and again to visit the Mushroom Kingdom with friends or by yourself—either way is fun. Nintendo has bottled up a little bit of classic gaming magic and delight with this game that has left me fulfilled and I'm sure you will be too.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/07/09

Game Release: New Super Mario Bros. Wii (US, 11/15/09)