Review by 3picide

"A Competent MULTIPLAYER Platformer"

Overall, this is exactly what I was expecting from the game, and then some. It may not hold up to standards when compared to the likes of Super Mario World, but, honestly, what game can? You most likely played SMB World quite a while back, on a system that was, by comparison to modern machines, pretty weak. The game (World, that is) displayed artwork and produced music that are beautiful even when compared to today's games. I just don't understand what all the complaints are about. Nintendo added a few minor things, took out the things from the DS version that didn't work, and made another wonderful PLATFORMER. When I say that, I'm saying that there really isn't much room for innovation. If you want something to be like Super Mario World, then why complain when there's nothing really new? I was not expecting a largely innovative game. I got exactly what I was expecting.

Playing through this game as it was meant to be played (that is, with other people) provides a ton of enjoyment. Instead of focusing on the single player aspect to this, Nintendo decided to orient it more for multiplayer. I believe they've done admirably. By yourself, this game is very easy. However, throw in another player or three, and all of those obstacles you flew past the first time 'round suddenly turn into quite the challenge. Do you continue climbing, killing your partner, or do you drop down and try again to spare them a life? Even with another skilled player, the game proves challenging mainly because of the collision factor. Both players struggle trying not to bump and jump into/onto each other all while trying to go against the level itself. The controls work flawlessly (pretty much the same as the originals, with the modified spin ability); the music and design is gorgeous (as always); there is a decent number of levels to be played (I could go for more, but that's always the case); the singleplayer is kind of weak for the experienced crowd, but if you've never played a Mario game (not sure how) or you're playing with friends/family, this game turns around and provides quite a lot. I don't think features or little additions/innovations make a game. Personally, I think controls and overall gameplay really make or break a game. The rest are just perks. New Super Mario Bros. Wii takes a typically single-player-oriented game, turns it around, and makes it a great multiplayer game, all while retaining the feeling that you're playing a SMB game. I'm not saying I wouldn't have liked to see more Yoshi (I was actually surprised to see him at all), and more power ups would have been fun, but I think, overall, would have just bogged the game down.

Overall, the game is a great addition to the SMB library. It is not meant to be revolutionary. It is and was designed to be a SMB game and it does just that while throwing in a new aspect. Basically, it's an old game with a new spin. It's great for all ages and experience levels. It's actually more fun mixing them, because then you get the older/better players teaching the other players new things and showing them things they otherwise probably would not have noticed. My only real complaint about this game is the saving, but even that isn't all that bad: the original game NEVER had a saving feature.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/09/09

Game Release: New Super Mario Bros. Wii (US, 11/15/09)