Review by blueblur595

"Almost Perfect, but Not Quite..."

Personally I really was hoping for the best for this game, and I believe that the big N pulled through with the expectations. I
won't say that is the perfect Mario game - Nintendo could've improved more. But it's a pretty solid game, one that I'm personally enjoying.

STORY - N/A
Story in Mario games bring me back to the NES days. They don't really have story. The princess is gone, you go and save the day. Why? Because that's what heroes do. Anyway, story is irrelevant.

SINGLE-PLAYER GAMEPLAY - 9.5/10
The developers at Nintendo really nailed it here. Single Player feels just as good as you think it does. Controls are smooth, jumping feels as good as it did 10 years ago, the whole she-bang. However, a couple things could be better.

Running is a little hard to do, as I believe the controls are a little slippery. Precision jumping is a little hard to do off of a fast run, however it's easy to get used to. We have the new power-ups like the propeller-shroom, or the ice suit (and who could forget the Penguin Suit?) They're all very cool, and maybe even a little crazy, but who cares when SMB3 had a Frog Suit?

Not just that, but the game gives you a nice challenge by carrying Toad (classic red and white) straight through to the end of the level while not dying or letting Toad die. If you do, you get a nice couple 1-Ups and a Mushroom/1-Up House. If not, oh well, shucks for you.

Overall, NSMB Wii delivers on hand with the single player, but the main addition to the game is the multiplayer. How's that?

MULTIPLAYER GAMEPLAY - 9/10
Multiplayer is pretty cool for this game and it works well. Finally, friends can join you on your quest to save the princess. Mario, accompanied by his little bro, Luigi, and two Toads (one yellow, one blue). Happily people can drop out of the game and come right back in at any time they so please. Slight changes are made for multiplayer - such as more power-ups coming out of one block (to be fair) and being able to help each other through the game. And if not, you could do some competitive stuff.

Then there's the other two multiplayer modes. They're okay, but it's nothing like playing through a real level. It could be a lot better, but at least the core gameplay is still intact. And before I leave this subject, I'd like to say something about the inclusion of an online feature. If online was added to the gameplay, there would be no way to communicate and that would lead to some very frustrated players. So no online is not considered a negative point to me.

NOSTALGIA - 10/10
This is a special third topic for this game as I believe all Mario games have a throwback to an earlier game. New Super Mario Bros. Wii takes the best things from every Mario-related game and brings it all together. Bubbles from Yoshi's Island, Yoshi from Super Mario World, and a whole slew of nostalgic items to keep you busy reminiscing.

SUMMARY
After all is said and done, you get a great Mario game that you can enjoy with friends. I give this a personal:
9.5/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/22/09

Game Release: New Super Mario Bros. Wii (US, 11/15/09)