Review by greeninator

"New Super Mario Bros. Wii throws a few blasts from the past a well as a few new tricks"

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the first console Mario platformer in a very long time. The second I started to play this game I remembered myself playing Super Mario World at my daycare when I was 6-7 years old. One of the functions of this game is to do just that. It's memories like these that I cherish very much. I'm sure that many other people cherish very similar memories.

Many classic elements from previous Mario platforming titles are in the game, but in a fresh and new style. All the koopalings return with their own worlds. Mushrooms and fireflowers among others make an appearance throughout the game.

Story 8/10

Pretty basic story. It's Peach's birthday. Koopalings kidnap peach. Blah Blah save her Blah Blah goombas Blah Blah Bowser. Nothing new here. But hey, what's wrong with that? This game was meant to be like that, but I felt like there could have been something else small added on to it.

Gameplay 10/10

Great gameplay, what else is there to say? The game is very smooth. It is easy to change directions in the air. Wall jumping plays a big role in the gameplay. I can't tell you how many times wall jumping has saved my life. The multiplayer is very well done. People always ask: "Which is better? Single or multiplayer?" The answer is that they are both great and you cant go wrong with either. Multiplayer may be more fun though, but that's because games are always more fun with more people. The new element are the new powerups: The propeller and Penguin suit. The propeller lets you shake the wiimote a launch up very high. Nothing extraordinary. The Penguin suit gives traction on ice, lets you slide on your belly, and throw ice balls to freeze your enemies. Pretty neat.

Sound/Music 8/10

The sounds and music in this game for the most part is a re-hash of the DS version's music which is a re-hash of the actual music used in the classic games. So ifso-facto the music used in this game is re-hashed from the classic games. The music is very good, it's just that sometimes I felt that they could have used the exact same songs in some situations instead of a remix (no big deal though) for the sake of nostalgia. The sounds are your traditional mushroom sounds, dying sounds that we all know and love. Nothing new here.

Graphics 8/10

The graphics in this game are very solid, nothing spectacular, not much more to say here.

Controls 8/10

The controls are pretty good. I think the motion controls are fine. It's just that sometimes I will try to adjust my position in my seat, in turn moving my controller which launches mario into the air. But I suppose that's on me, not the game.

Replay Value 9/10

There are plenty of ways to replay the game. You can try to speed run by taking all the shortcuts. Go through the game the long way by taking no shortcuts. There are many new ways to play here.

Rent or Buy?

If you are a longtime fan of the Mario series then this is a must buy. If you've never played a Mario game before and are not sure what to expect, you should rent just to see if you like it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/10

Game Release: New Super Mario Bros. Wii (US, 11/15/09)