Review by ChaudBlaze890

"The New super"

So I would like to start by saying I was excited to put this game into my console and go to town and I was disappointed. Here is my game scoring.

Music: 5/10
Game play: 5/10
Re-playability: 3/10
Controls: 9/10

So lets start with the music.
It is moderately forgettable, it can be catchy but it gets kind of stale. It seems like a lot of it is recycled. I am fine with using old songs for nostalgia sake, but come on really. They needed to liven up the music, they needed to add some relatively new music.

Game play:
That was OK, it was the same as just about every other Mario game in existence (Galaxy and the Party series excluded) this is again not necessarily bad thing. The one thing that really hut this score is simply the propeller cap. This item was so over powered, I ran through Bowser's stage with no problems. This item was way more powerful than the star even. This item made platforming and the sense of quick reaction no longer needed. the other power ups were not as memorable.

Re-playability:
This one really takes a hit, unless you are a completionist. unless you must have every coin, and hint videos, then once you beat the game you probably won't pick it up. the Multilayer might entice you for a little while, but it gets pretty strenuous, this is not like other competitive co-op games. This game feels like you need to know what is in every block before you hit it so you don't miss out on power-ups. Playing with just one friend was stressful enough, I really don't want to imagine what it must be like to play it with four. So multiplayer is there, but stressful. But other than the coins. There is no reason to pick this game back up.

Controls:
The were pretty good. there was about two things I felt that could be better. It felt like every surface had the ice physics applied, that might have just been me but hey. The only other thing is that I do wish that they had given you the option to use the virtual console controller. They could have done the control scheme just about the same as Super Mario World, and that would have been perfect. But all in all the controls were pretty good.

Graphics:
Ok these were pretty good. To see a lot of the old bosses back and in a semi 3D that was pretty amazing. The graphics were good, you really can't go over board with a 2D Mario game, but they did the best that I feel they could do.

So all in all I would say to rent this game if you feel the need to play it, but I would not buy it. It is a good game, don't get me wrong but it just could have been better or even harder on single player.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 01/20/11

Game Release: New Super Mario Bros. Wii (US, 11/15/09)