Review by hotdogsaucer

"Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a star on the Wii"

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a 3D platformer that has Mario bouncing around planets and galaxies to find the Power Stars of the universe. The game brings back the originality, fun controls, and Lumas of the original SMG. Yoshi comes back in this game too, bringing a new element of gameplay. There were lots of levels to play in with tons of variety.

Mario games aren't really known for a storyline except having Princess Peach get captured and Mario saving her. Super Mario Galaxy 2 uses this for its storyline, but this time Bowser's expanding to the universe instead of the Mushroom Kingdom. The storyline is what I expected, and it was portrayed pretty well, so the storyline get an 8 from me.

The graphics are a strong point in this game. They're very colorful (except for the ghostly levels) and give a "real" feeling while still having cartoon-like graphics. All the characters look great, Mario and Luigi look good (I think they look a little slimmer in 3D) and the Lumas are colorful, just like the levels. The planets have tons of variety, ranging from sandy planets to fire pits to ice rinks or even mechanical factories of Chain Chomps. The graphics are some of the best on the Wii in my opinion, so the graphics for this game get a 10.

Gameplay was a good point in this game, too. SMG2 introduced Yoshi and a few power ups for it, like the Bulb Berry (Yoshi emits light and makes mysterious platforms appear) and the Dash Pepper (makes Yoshi run really fast and sound like a fire hydrant). Mario also has some new power ups too, like Rock Mario (shake the remote to roll in a ball) and Cloud Mario (shake to make a cloud, limit 3). The controls are the same as the original SMG, so there's not an effect on that. Some Comet levels (levels that are adjusted, i.e. a speed run or beating a boss without getting hit) frustrated me, but that means SMG2 has the perfect mixture of difficulty, not too hard, not too easy. The gameplay gets a 10 from me.

The sound was good, but occasionally a little repetitive. Nintendo brought back some good tunes from the past, which was good. Some of the voices of characters were fun, like Lubba (Luma that controls your hub ship), who said "CHEE". Great sound effects like this proves that Nintendo thought a lot about what gamers would like. The sound was good, but not perfect, so it gets a 9 from me.

Playability: 10/10
Well, there's 242 stars in the game, so you have quite a lot to do in this game! My average time for a star is about 6 minutes, so 6 minutes times 242 stars equals at least 24 hours IF you don't die, which is very hard to do on your first time. So, playability gets a 10 from me.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a great star for the Wii. I definitely recommend you try this great title out.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/01/10

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (US, 05/23/10)