Review by Swanbird

"My huge cake, never got a slice"

Having gotten, at time of writing, about 99.99% completion on Super Mario Galaxy 2, I feel overly qualified to pass judgement on it.

First (but also least importantly in the long run), the bad.

Bad the first: Extra lives and the handling thereof. Extra lives in video games are an outdated holdover from the days of arcade gaming (and very early console gaming before there were saved games). In a nutshell, if a game allows you to, in some capacity, pick up from where you left off earlier, you don't need extra lives. They make gameplay unnecessarily tedious when you run out and then have to start the level all over instead of from the last checkpoint you hit just because you died (on what may be a very difficult level no less) an arbitrary number of times. We have progressed beyond the need for extra lives. They are a relic of the old days, good for a museum and nowhere else. That said, I know that the 1-up mushroom is an iconic element of the Mario series and is probably going to be in Mario games long after we're all dead and this review has been forgotten about by the internet as a whole. So we'll accept that a Mario game is going to have extra lives in it. Now, I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph “the handling thereof”, which I will get to now. If you quit and restart the game, even if you just go to the title screen and load your saved game without turning the system off, you have four lives (five if you count zero as a life). That's it. You could have had fifty not thirty seconds ago when you saved your game, and now they're all gone. This has been a problem with the Mario series since it first got a save feature way back in Super Mario World. Nintendo for some reason has decided that you're not entitled to keep all those hard-earned lives just because you quit the game.

Bad the second: Camera screwery. The camera is the greatest foe you will ever face in a 3D platform game (and often in other genres as well), unless it's done Just Right. The way to do it Just Right is as follows: The camera should be stationed a moderate distance behind the player character, with the ability to rotate it a full 360 degrees at all times, except where these things are detrimental to the gameplay (as they would be in this game's side-scrolling segments, of which there are quite a few). I should not have to miss repeatedly a long-distance jump to a star because I can't get the camera lined up to where I Can See What's Going On. This issue is not so prevalent in the game that it dominates the experience, but it's common enough to be an annoyance. This is not a horror game or adventure game. It does not require limited camera movement to enhance the “atmosphere”.

Bad the third: The mini-games. That annoying “rolling ball” mini-game from Mario Galaxy 1 is back, and the controls for it are as imprecise as ever, though fortunately it only appears in two galaxies (though that means you'll have to play it a minimum of eight times to get all the stars from it). Mario Galaxy 1′s least annoying mini-game, the “bubble blow” one, is gone, and ray surfing is gone, but now we get New Ones that are still annoying. First up is riding Fluzzard, a bird-thing that doesn't so much fly as glide, and you tilt the Wii Remote to make him move in the direction you want him to go, and hopefully he goes that way. Unfortunately the guys at Nintendo forgot that gameplay is more important than realism when it comes to flying in a cartoony 3D platform game. That's the best I can figure out to word it, so moving on. Next you have “Chimp's Challenges”, a group of (usually timed) games where you try to beat the Chimp's score. This generally involves stuff like ice-skating into targets or jumping on lots of enemies in a row (and not the nice little Goombas either, the spawn-of-Satan rock-spitting octopus things). And there's five or six of them total. Bleh.

Now I'm going to tell you why you should buy the game anyway.

Good the first: It's basically more of the same. Did you enjoy Mario Galaxy 1? Me too. Mario Galaxy 2 plays pretty much exactly the same. Mario and Luigi control the same as they did in 1. You can still collect and shoot Star Bits with the Wii Remote. Most of Mario Galaxy 1's power-ups are back (although the Boo Mushroom and Spring Mushroom get very limited use – not that this is a bad thing). You'll have no problem jumping right in if you played the first game.

Good the second: The new stuff. The most prominent addition is, of course, Mario's dinosaur buddy Yoshi, who can be found on several levels. Yoshi is easy to control (just point the remote at an enemy and press B to eat them!) and has some fun segments with his own power-ups, which let him run really fast up walls/across water, float upwards, and illuminate hidden platforms. Mario's own new power-ups are well-done as well. The Prankster Comet challenges are now unlocked by collecting the Comet Medal in each galaxy. The “Cosmic Mario” challenges from SMG1, where you race a clone of yourself to the star, are gone, having been replaced with “Shadow Mario”, where a series of clones follows your moves exactly and damage you if you touch them. This can be maddeningly difficult at times, but is still perfectly doable.

Good the third: Everything else. The challenges are often sadistically difficult but still mostly fair, except when they involve Camera Screw or Annoying Mini-Games. Luigi, who was playable in SMG1 when you got all 120 stars as Mario, is back, and this time you can play as him right from the start on some levels, with there being a new bonus for getting all 120 stars which I will not spoil here.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/17/10

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (US, 05/23/10)