Review by mailtoad2

"It's time take to the stars - again..."

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is definitely one of the best games on the Wii, and in my opinion is better than its predecessor. This could have been a contender for best Wii game, but unfortunately, it is let down by a couple of little problems - we'll get to those later.

Presentation: The levels are extremely varied, and the various challenges range from scaling frozen waterfalls to riding a massive wooden slide. The level select screens are extremely slick and easy to navigate, making the game that little bit more fluid than the original Super Mario Galaxy, although the lack of some sort of massive hub world akin to Super Mario Sunshine, Galaxy, and Super Mario 64 is a little disappointing. Presentation: 9.3/10

Graphics: The graphics are on a par, and sometimes exceed, those of the original game, which in themselves were stunning. The lighting effects are superb, and help to give the effect of starlight coming in from all sorts of different directions. The water visuals (which have been a minor set back in previous Mario games) are great, and really wow the gamer. Graphics: 9.9/10

Sound: There are fewer original orchestral pieces that in the original game, although the throwbacks to older games with more up-to-date renditions of some classic tunes is almost enough to make up for this. Even among the original pieces in the game, none are as breath-taking as the one from Gusty Garden Galaxy in the original - although whether this is due to us just expecting it now and not being quite so surprised is rather hard to figure out. Despite all this though - the music is one of the best compositions on Wii and compliments the game magnificently. Sound: 9.9/10

Control: Most of the game has fluid and perfect control although some sections don't work quite as well as they should. I found the purple star in Flip-Swap Galaxy almost impossible to get due to broken controls, so although the game generally works well, some sections are just un-playable. Control: 8.6/10

Gameplay: Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a classic example of level design at its best - hidden areas, loveable characters, power-ups galore, and some amazing challenges. The different galaxies allow for some diverse challenges, and some amazing power ups from the previous game - the Bee Suit - and some brand new ones - Cloud Mario - allow for some unique types of gameplay. Gameplay: 9.9/10

Overall: I love this game and think that every Nintendo gamer will as well. Enjoy! Overall: 9.5/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/18/10

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (EU, 06/11/10)