Review by batman995

"Super Mario Galaxy 2 Review by Batman995"

One of the best games for the Wii has to be Super Mario Galaxy. The reason is it took everything that was great about 3D Mario games and gave them a gravity twist. There has came out with some great games since like the critically acclaimed Little Big Planet which have made platformers popular again, yet nobody has been able to beat Galaxy. Now the sequel is out, is it better than the original, OH HELL YES. Not only is Super Mario Galaxy 2 better than Super Mario Galaxy, it might be the best game of this generation.

Story- The way this game starts off is you are going to the star festival again. Yes even though it's a sequel to Galaxy the story doesn't start off from where galaxy left off. So anyways you're moving and you see a luma on the ground who speaks some sort of weird computer language, but anyways he gets attached to you 2 seconds after you meet him and you to become partners. So you keep going towards the castle and right before you get there is a lot of stuff falling. Mushroom kingdom is under attack and it is up to you to fix it. So you go up to bowser (who is the size of the empire state building) and he tells you to go fix some pipes and then flies away. Now it is up to you to get the princess. You get your first star and then you land up on this round planet and meet the other lumas who are lost. In exchange of finding their mama (Rosalina from the first game) they will help you get Peach. So they make a giant planet based on Mario's head and your journey begins. And that is all the story is, yes I know it isn't a fantastic story, but it is Mario and Mario doesn't need story to be awesome.

Level Design- The level design in Super Mario Galaxy is some of the coolest levels you have ever played as Nintendo's fat mascot. The Gravity part still plays a role (Although it is not as much as the first game) but what this game has is that every single level is different. Not one level is the same, sometimes you'll be jumping on clouds, sometimes you'll be chasing a purple monkey and sometimes you will be riding yoshi. And you know what that is a very good thing because you will not be bored at all with this game.

One of the coolest levels in Galaxy 2 is going back to a level in Super Mario 64. It starts the same as you are climbing up the mountain and then it surprises you at the end with something totally unexpected.

Another level I like is at the very beginning where you have to shake the wii remote in order to go through the entire level, I will not spoil it for you but it is a lot of fun. But now let's talk if this game is up to par with the original Galaxy. If you liked the original Galaxy for its Gravity elements and that is the only reason you liked the levels in the first game, you won't be disappointed but they have left it out a lot.

But this game has every single element for every single Mario game. A lot of the time you will be moving in 2D, and these are so cool because it took everything that was great from 2D Mario games. It has the addictiveness of the first game, linear movement from the second, cool powerups from the 3rd, secrets from super Mario world and power coins from New Super Mario Bros. It's everything you want for a 2D Mario game and it is part of a 3D Mario game, how cool is that.

Now the 3D part of the game is probably the best 3D Platformer game to ever exist. It took the design of Super Mario 64 and put a Super Mario Galaxy twist, you are now going through large areas instead of going from one small planet to the next, but it has stars and gravity control that help you move on to the next. I do not know how to explain the level design it is just that cool.

Another thing I love about the level design is that with the gravity physics they were able to take old level designs (like going from point A to B, 2D style) and makes them crazy better. You just need to experience this game, right now.

Gameplay- The best controls on the Wii, and it did not have to use Wii Motion Plus, that is INCREDIBLE. You hold the controller by using the Wii-Remote and Wii-Nunchuck, just like the first game. You move Mario around by using the analog stick on the Nunchuck, you use the A button to have Mario jump, and you shake the Wii-Remote around to have Mario do a spin attack. You might think it is the same control scheme as the first Mario Galaxy game, and that is because it is. But for some odd reason the controls feel a lot more fluid in this game than in the first. I cannot explain to you why this fact is, but you feel like you have more control of Mario than you did in the very first Mario Galaxy game. Just experience it for yourself, you'll see what I mean.

Bad Parts- The only complaint I have about this game is that the boss battles were a tad disappointing compared to the first. But Mario is not known for epic boss battles anyways so who cares.

Good Parts- How about being able to play as Yoshi and Luigi for the first time in a 3D Mario game. Or just how amazing the graphics are, or how this game is difficult. The co-op is actually good in this game. And the powerups are sweet. Everything about this game is amazing; it took everything great from every Mario game and put it into the best Mario game ever made. There are 250 stars to collect this time so you will be playing for a long time in order to get those stars and thanks to the level design you will absolutely love it. This is the absolute best game to ever come out on the Nintendo Wii, probably the best Mario game period, it is absolutely amazing.

Final Thoughts- Get this game right now, it is the best game for Wii and maybe even for this generation of gaming. This is the best game Nintendo has made since Ocarina of Time and Nintendo Wii finally has made a hard Mario game. This game is perfect 10/10 so get up and buy this game. If you do not have a Wii, get up buy a Wii and then buy this game you will be thanking me later.

Closing Comments- I posted this review back in 2010 and was the first review I ever posted, I tried to change it and stuff to make it even longer, but I just couldn't make it more detailed. Anyways if you have any complaints against this review, please e-mail me and let me know right away.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/22/10, Updated 06/14/11

Game Release: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (US, 05/23/10)