Review by YoYoLeFtToRiTe

"Metroid- The way it was, the way it always will be."

I'll never forget my long time overwhelming sense of accomplishment over 10 years ago when I had successfully beaten Super Metroid. A few years later, I finally gained access to an NES system and played myself some of the original Metroid. This was a rather difficult task, but in the end, I was still standing. I had beaten the original. For some reason, I felt an even bigger sense of accomplishment. I guess it was because I thought the original was much harder then Super. I unfortunatly had not beaten Metroid 2 due to lack of accessibility to the original Gameboy. After begging and pleading my friend to wipe all the dust off of his old Gameboy and let me borrow it, there were still no dice. Years later, the Metroid Prime series debuted for the Gamecube. While they were good games, I just didnt feel these games were a true Metroid experience. They also didnt advance the same story to one of my most favorable/memorable series of all time. A few years later, I then heard of a new Metroid coming out that was going back to it's old school routes while advancing a plot I thought had been lost forever. I couldnt have been more overjoyed. Love it or hate it, here is my review of Team Ninja's Metroid: Other M.

Presentation: Sheer excellence. Nintendo decides to go down a road they do not usually go down. A path that takes a superb story and compliments it with some of the most beautiful cutscenes I have ever witnessed on the Wii to date. Without spoiling too much, the story starts off with the destruction of Mother Brain at Super Metroid's conclusion. You then get a distress call, you waste no time heading off toward your destination. The menu system is slick as well. I must tip my hats off to Team Ninja for this brilliant sense of accomplishment. 10/10

Graphics: The characters look great. Although I will say that sometimes the ship feels a little bit clustered in terms of exploration. A minor complaint that doesn't detract from the gameplay. However, the environment still looks great. The animations of Samus as well as enemies, and your team members look great as well. The graphics are nearly flawless. Definitley some of the best on Wii. 9.5/10

Sound: Superb voice acting, music couldn't have been better. Orchestrated really seems to compliment the ole' Metroid feel. 9.5/10

Gameplay: The most important aspect of the game shines beautifully. Although there are some minor complaints like not being able to move in first person mode or not being able to use any other control type besides the Wiimote sideways. Although these flaws are there, they did not take away from the gameplay. The gameplay is definitley an evolution from the old school 8 and 16 bit games. It really seems to take on the routes of them very well. Samus has new moves for you to learn, plenty of upgrades mixed in with a good amount of exploration, along with a nice touch of challenge. Nice job Team Ninja. 9/10

Replay value: Team Ninja definitley didnt want us putting this game down any time soon. A decent variety of unlockables were included when beaten the game such as theater mode- a brief summary of the game's excellent story summed up into the cutscenes, gallery as well as hard mode. For those of us who live for a fine challenge in games, we can definitley appreciate little bonuses like that. 7/10.

Conclusion: If you have been a fan of Metroid since the days of old, look no further. Metroid: Other M has you covered. The long wait has definitley paid off. Team Ninja has finally rewarded us with one of the best games on the Wii. I think you will grow to love Samus like never before. If your a tad unsure, renting is always an option; But its hard for me to justify not buying this game if you intend on playing this game at all. So what are you waiting for? Go find out what that distress is call you alien-killing bounty hunter!

Final score: 9.4/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/03/10

Game Release: Metroid: Other M (US, 08/31/10)