Review by Pryce89

"Other M: Refreshing, Innovative, and Enjoyable."

Introduction:
Although not the cream of the Metroid crop, Other M is a refreshing, innovative, and enjoyable adventure.

Gameplay:
Metroid Other M's combat is unique and satisfying.

The addition of melee combat makes dispatching smaller enemies more entertaining then in previous games. In addition, enemies are much more aggressive then past missions, so you're likely to make the most of these moves and the new dodge mechanic. Switching to first person allows use of missile biased weapons. This works extremely well as activating first person mode gives you a split second of slow motion, allowing you to set up shots nicely. Boss and Mini-boss fights overall are excellent. Unfortunately, the game will occasionally make you fight a boss completely in first person mode. These fights are best described as poorly executed light-gun mini-games and really work against the otherwise fabulous combat.

Metroid fan's in particular might be upset with how Other M handles exploration. During the game, its a linear affair. However, after the credits you can return to the Bottle Ship and previously locked doors unlock, allowing you to freely explore the ship. In fact, there are parts of the ship that you wont be able to explore until after the credits.

Visuals/Sound:
The visuals in Other M are not up to par with other games in the series. The major complaint here is with textures in the various holographic environments. The environments simply aren't as likely as would be expected. However, the visuals in Other M are by no means bad. Samus' animations are particularly outstanding.

Other M lacks the catchy music of other games in the series. In stead, the soundtrack has a more ambient feel, which certainly matches the mood of the space station itself, but doesn't work well in the more exotic environments. Also, you wont be hearing the classic Metroid chime when you get power ups, which is very sad.

Story:
Unfortunately, I won't be able to tell you whether or not you'll like the story in Other M. My major complain is that it stepped on the toes of Metroid Fusion, effectively stealing Fusion's major plot twist in the first half of the game. So, no points for originality. Don't get me wrong, the story is well present and it's nice to see Nintendo incorporating cinematic story telling, but I sometimes wonder if its worth the effort.

Play Time:
It took me about 10 hours to get the credits on my first run. This seems about average for a Metroid game. However, returning to the ship after the credits offers some additional replay value. If you collect all remaining power ups, you can unlock Hard mode. This allows you the challenge of replaying the game without any power-ups.

Overall:
The game is action packed and certainly fun, but its not likely to replace your favorite Metroid game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 09/03/10

Game Release: Metroid: Other M (US, 08/31/10)