Review by Whatsagame132

"One step forward, three steps back. Metroid's biggest mistake."

NOTE: This review will not contain any spoilers.

I'll admit- I was hyped about this game. I had been playing Metroid ever since Super Metroid, and I was hooked. I played every Metroid game in the series (including the Prime trilogy) to this date, and was so exited for this one. I was convinced this was going to stand out from the others.

Oh it stood out alright, for all the wrong reasons.

Gameplay: 6.5/10

Other M's gameplay was fast and intense at first, but it got incredibly repetitive after a while and really lost it's charm. You can alternate between first person and third person mode at will. To enter first person mode, all you have to do is point your Wii remote at the screen. Sounds simple enough, but here's where it gets bad-in first person mode, you cannot move in place for being able to scan and use missiles. This can create problems when you're in a boss battle or large-scale fight, and you can't dodge because you can't move. Prime's control system in first person was perfection, why fix that which doesn't need fixing?

In third person, not only do you have to navigate a 3D space with a D-pad (which is awkward and glitchy at times), but you also have your cannon auto-targeting the nearest threat to you, making it incredibly easy to just mash buttons in entire hordes of enemies that would take thinking to kill in any other game.

Level design: 5/10

Remember the thrills of exploring every nook and cranny in the Prime and original games to find those missile expansions and energy tanks, to find ancient technology for your suit, or to just get a pretty view? Other M takes nearly all of that away. The way forward is often obvious and extremely linear. Major "puzzles" consist of scanning and/or grabbing something to make a door open. Scanning can become tedious as well, as often the thing you need is so well-hidden and blended that it can take a long time finding what you need. You have your upgrades, you just need to be "authorized" at the most opportune moments to use them. The game also offers little to no replay ability. The game came to an end very quickly too, compared to other Metroid games.

Metroid always had a half-decent story, and this one isn't bad either. The only thing is that in the past games it was always subtle and only there if you wanted to know what was going on, but in this one they were so insistent on a story that practically cram it down your throat. The cutscenes are far too numerous and very long for the most part. My personal feeling is that we don't need this much info about Samus, I was perfectly content with her being a stern, mysterious bounty hunter, but that's just me. The story itself felt like something out of an anime sometimes-i.e. Samus's over-emotional reactions that generally wouldn't suit a woman of her profession.

Voice acting: 3/10

Honestly, whoever voiced most of these characters need to never be hired again. Whoever voiced Samus needs some lessons from whoever voiced her in Brawl AT THE LEAST. Most of the character's voices either contain way too much emotion or way too little emotion. Also, Samus sounds like a whiny little teenager now. Hope you like that.

Music: 6/10

Little to no music was memorable from this game. Many songs were recycled from old ones, and the new ones don't sound all that great. I don't really need to explain any more here.

This game was not very memorable and is a blemish compared to the other games in this series. They put too much emphasis on the story and forget what a Metroid game is mainly about-action and exploration that is new and fresh every time. I'd say this is a weekend rent at best, don't waste your money on this. Don't be surprised if you find lots of copies of this on your used copy shelf soon.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 09/07/10

Game Release: Metroid: Other M (US, 08/31/10)