Review by darksword500

"No Objections, Lady"

Metroid Other M delves deep into Samus Aran's character and past. Samus is not just a badass bounty hunter that shoots to kill; she's a human being with her own personality and past experiences that define her. And in Other M, that human element of Samus shines brighter than ever.

Story (10/10)

Note: The following paragraph does not contain any plot spoilers.

I personally like to see a good story accompanied by good gameplay. And Other M has both. A majority of the story is narrated by Samus. This narration is a window into her contemplative thoughts, which is great because we get a glimpse into her character. The story has many twists and turns that drive the game forward. From beginning to end, as the plot unfolds, the main characters become more determined and memorable. Adam Malkovich and Anthony Higgs turned out to be excellent characters. They, along with Samus, are the best characters throughout the plot. The story alone, in my honest opinion, is worth the price tag.

Gameplay (10/10)

Other M is much more fast-paced than previous Metroid games. In addition to blasting enemies from afar, we see our heroine show off her moves by hoping onto an enemy's head or back and blasting its face at point-blank range. Samus can even utilizing those boosters on her back to dodge attacks. A unique feature in the game is the ability to switch between first and third person perspectives. Third person perspective is the primary perspective in which the game is played. While in third person perspective, you can move freely throughout the stage. While in first person perspective, however, you become stationary. This is the only way that you can fire missiles. The transition between either perspective is fairly smooth. The controls may seem awkward at first, but once you get used to them in the first 15 minutes or so of gameplay, you should have no problems.

Music / Sound (8/10)

Other M uses ambient sounds more so than music. I personally don't have a problem with this; some do. The ambient sounds and music both convey the mood of the environments and situations rather well. Also, music from previous Metroid games is a welcome addition.

Anything from firing the arm cannon to the cries of a raging beast sound like anything I'd expect from a Metroid game. Nothing too spectacular. The only thing I find a little unsettling is that the standard Metroid jingle for acquiring items is replaced. As for the voice acting, the characters sound real and believable, although not all the time. However, the voice acting, for the most part, is very well done.

Graphics (10/10)

The graphics are awesome. The environments within the Bottle Ship, although artificial, are absolutely beautiful (irony much?). The characters appear life-like and display their emotions rather effectively. The enemies, both big and small, are visually terrifying as they are meant to be. Everything seems so detailed and realistic. The first person perspective really allows one to marvel at everything the graphics have to offer.

In conclusion, Metroid Other M is a great addition to the series. It nicely bridges the gap between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. With that, I shall come to an end. Thank you for taking the time to read my review. I hope that you enjoy Other M as much as I did. My review score comes out to 9.5, but rounding off brings it up to a 10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/13/10

Game Release: Metroid: Other M (US, 08/31/10)