Review by fortysix_too

"Old school awesome Metroid in 3D finally!!!"

This is my first review here on Gamefaqs, and the reason I felt the urge to review this game is to clear up some confusion on the review scores for this game. This game is getting mixed reviews big time. And I think I know why.

For the people like me, who grew up on Metroid, Metroid II, and Super Metroid, and who were actually disappointed by the transition of the series into the 1st person perspective, I think this game is finally the 3D Metroid we have been waiting for. I have never been into 1st person games, and obviously never will, because no matter how much I try to give them a chance, I can never play them very long. So, for me, with Metroid being my favorite 2D video game series of all time, Metroid Prime was a BIG disappointment. I tried to like it, but I just hated the 1st person viewpoint. But, now, along comes Metroid: Other M, and I feel like I finally got the 3D Metroid I was waiting for. I love it. It really reminds me of Metroid: Fusion (which is one of my favorites). Don't get me wrong, I would of rather had analog control, and maybe the sections that freeze you into 1st person until you locate what the game is wanting you to find kinda suck, but I think everything else is awesome. And I don't mind shooting missles in 1st person, as long as I'm not stuck that way the whole game. It's actually kinda cool how great you have to get the timing down to shoot off some missles and then flip the controller back sideways and run away before you get hit. I feel like the controls work really well. Much better than the bad reviews would have you believe. And that's why I can't really complain for not getting analog support on this game. Anyways, people who love old school metroid, and who hate 1st person games, will love this game.

As for the newer video game generation, who don't have much experience with 2D Metroid games, and who feel like the 1st person genre is God's gift to video games, they probably won't like this game. Which really saddens me, because this game feels much more like a true Metroid game than the Prime series. This game was made by the Metroid creator himself, and it shows. Not some American studio who got lucky with a good license. The thing is, these "professional" review outlets should know better than to give this game a bad rating, even if they don't like it for whatever reason. The quality is there and it shows. (G4 and GI, I'm looking at you.) I think that is just poor journalism on their part. You can't dismiss quality just because it's not your type of game. I know Call of Duty 4 and Halo are good games. I'm sure they deserve their 8's or 9's on their reviews. But, I personally hate them both, and to me they might be a 4 out of 10, but I wouldn't give them a score like that if I was a professional, just because the quality is there. I just might not "get" the game itself. So, the low review scores for this game are undeserved, even though I understand why it is getting them.

In closing, this game is awesome. I love 2D Metroid, and this game gives me that same old feeling once again. It has good controls, good graphics, and a decent story line. But, it's mainly the gameplay that shines. Can't find a way out of a room? Time to bomb. The next door requires a weapon you don't have? Search for a crack in the wall, or a hole in the ventilation system, or go back the way you came. Expect to be taken a whole different way through a level than you would expect. That it what makes this game awesome. While the game is not perfect, it is what some of us Metroid lovers have been waiting for all along.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/13/10

Game Release: Metroid: Other M (US, 08/31/10)