Review by cybercrud

"This game finally gives Samus a story"

As soon as I started this game, I could not put it down. It is very easy to pick up and start blasting enemies to annihilation. But the most compelling factor is the 2+ hours of cinematic cut-scenes that really give Samus a sense of character for the first time. This game is done well and will clearly be one of my all time favorites. I've loved the series since the release on the NES. But this one is the first one I have played that really touched my emotions. Purists will say that the game deviates from the standard too much. I disagree. It expands on the game in new ways that have never been tried before on a Nintendo system. To not give this game an honest chance would be a great disservice. This one belongs in your collection... period. I'll even go out on a limb and say that I enjoyed this game more than even the Prime trilogy.

The game starts out with a brief history of the baby Metroid and then moves right into the current story. From there things really start to branch out and you feel Samus' story for the first time. She's not just some cold bounty hunter. She has a past that she hides. It seems Samus is her own worst critic. We get to experience how she grew up and her inner anger. But even as tough as she appears, Samus is a victim of her own emotions.

By the time the story ends, you've certainly been on a wild roller coaster. I am glad that I was able to play thru this game 100% and experience everything that it has to offer. The game is so good that I am going back after unlocking HARD mode just for personal achievement.

There is something special about this game that really makes you feel a connection with Samus. She becomes a real person. She becomes someone that you wish you could actually know and not just a fictional video game character. Regardless of all the critics complaining how this game is so different than others in the series, I think that Team Ninja succeeded in portraying Samus the way that they intended. I cannot stress enough how great this game is. I hope it inspires other developers to take another look at their characters and really expand on them.

The bottom line is this: Anybody can make a canned game that meets the status quo. This game feels like a quality Metroid game. But it offers so much more than any game of the series that came before it. Ignore the critics and make your own decision.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/13/10

Game Release: Metroid: Other M (US, 08/31/10)